1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Lakland Content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blendermassacre, May 9, 2010.

1. New to me Lakland 55-02. Thing is a groove machine. I got in in trade, and it's my first real "modern tone" bass. I'm going to try to see if the sound suits me, but for now, I'm a happy man.

Even has some birds eye on the back of the headstock.

2. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    Looks great. Congratulations.

3. V. nice blender, I went to my 55-02 from a Fender P, and I really dig the tone, enjoy it :D

4. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Nice.... enjoy!!

5. Ive got the older 4402 in black and love it, just curious... is there any difference with the Bartolini PUPS (on mine) to the Lakland on yours?

6. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpo...&postcount=798

I actually quite like the barts. I'm really not sure if this is going to stay or go in actuality. I've been playing this bass for hours, and I'm on the fence.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Congrats - I got one a week or two ago, though with the other pickup configuration.

I like the Barts as well - definitely more "vintage sounding" than most active setups.

I gigged it the other night and it performed fabulously. The make great gigging basses for those of us who just don't want to take our vintage stuff out any more. They're a nice blend of "new and old".

:)

8. The Lakland pups are definitely way more modern than I'm used to. Even through my old peavey tube amp, eqing the "honk" out is a challenge. Obviously tons of people love these basses. I absolutely love everything about this bass except for the pups. Passive it's not as bad.

I hope to make it work, but if not, hopefully another lakland (jo5 or duck dunn) could replace it.

9. I've got a 55-02 with Barts. Very smooth and nice. Seems to fit in pretty much any situation. Barts are sort of "polite" and I understand the new pickups are a bit more edgy. All my other stuff is quirky though so I need something "normal".

10. Blender, have you tried it in a band setting yet? IME, the Lakland guts help me to hear myself quite well without being super loud. Also, what setting is your mid boost/cut on? Try experimenting with that

11. After fiddling with it (in literally every way possible. Amp 7 band eq, amp 3 band eq, bass eq, pickups etc) I traded it off. I loved everything about that bass except for how it sounded.

To answer your question, I think it would have been better in a band situation, yes. But overall, the tone wasn't what I was looking for. I acquired it in a trade because it was the best trade for myself, knowing fully that it could be something that I didn't really like. I played a 55-02 for quite a while when I visited Lakland last November. I'm going to wait for a bit and save up for a Decade or Hollow body, as the chisonic tone is basically perfect for me.

12. sitonmybass

sitonmybass Guest

After owning several Lakland 55-02 models and 55-01 models I also determined that the sound of the 55-02 was not for me, either. :meh:

Of the two, I preferred the 55-01 with a rosewood fretboard.

13. Fair enough, at least you know what you want

14. Truthfully, I wish it could have worked for me. I love Lakland. Dan was the nicest guy when I met him, even though I didn't own a lakland. He personally brought out tens of thousands of dollars od basses for me to test out. I love to be able to support a company like that.

15. sitonmybass

sitonmybass Guest

I have a brand new black/rosewood 55-01 on the way. I've had several Lakland 55-01 models and 55-02 models over the years but ended up selling them. I missed having a 55-01 because it's my favorite of the two.

My wife is visiting family in Orlando today so she is going to pick it up for me from Bass Central and bring it home to me here in the Tampa Bay area. :hyper:

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Sorry it didn't work for you, man. But I can tell you'll be back in the Lakland fold sooner or later.;)

17. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Blender,

Great looking bass, congrats. I could see a 55-02 in my future someday.

Play it in good health.

Bones

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice Bass. Congrats!

19. That souldnt be too big of a secret. Of all the basses I've played and didn't end up liking, I wish I could have liked this one. Feel: great. Weight; better than most. Looks; way above average. Sound ; meh. The lakland 5 string neck is, imo, the perfect shape. its somewhere between the good ibanez necks and good fender jazz necks. Not too wide, but feels substantial in the hand.