NBD - Lakland Decade - Original run w/ Darkstar pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stringthrough, Nov 30, 2016.

1. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Super neck and sound. Just got it back from a setup by my guitar tech. He was very impressed by the quality of the neck, grouping it with Ken Smiths and Alembic necks he's worked on in the past; and this guy has never been shy about pointing out flaws in necks on my newly purchased basses.

LaklandDecadeDarkstars-Front-Body.jpg

LaklandDecadeDarkstars-Front-Full.jpg

2. MrAtomic

MrAtomic Friendly Robot

Dec 29, 2014
    Austin, TX
    First off, congratulations! That beastie looks sharp, and I bet it sounds even better than it looks.

I have a favor to ask: as you spend some time with the Decade, could you please let us know a bit about how it balances while seated/standing, and whether the short lower horn fits comfortably on your leg?

I'm really interested in a Decade, but I (and I suspect other TB members) have never seen one, let alone spent time playing one. It's got such a unique shape that it's hard to tell whether or not it'd be comfortable and balanced without having the bass in hand. Most of what I've been able to read about the Decade on TB.com concerns the sound of the Darkstars or Chi-Sonics, rather than ergonomics/playability.

Again, congratulations, and I hope you play it in good health for many years.

StrangerDanger and stringthrough like this.
  3. stringthrough

stringthrough Supporting Member

Thanks . . .

First impressions: Maybe a tad of a neck dive (didn't even occur to me to focus on it until you asked your question) but much less significant than some other basses I've owned, notably a 5 string version of Gibson's new EB bass.

This guy: upload_2016-11-30_17-24-17.jpeg

. . . and a recent 34" Danelectro DC bass, this guy: pc85jor2syc6d00jm8tt.jpg

As for the seating position, there might be less to the bottom horn that would make it a bit more susceptible to sliding off the thigh, but again, if you hadn't brought it to my attention I would not have noticed that "issue".

I should also mention that this bass weights 8.6 lbs (nice!) as it has a bearing on your question.

MrAtomic likes this.
  4. MrAtomic

MrAtomic Friendly Robot

Dec 29, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Nice!

Thanks so much for your response. It's really helpful to those of us planning on snagging a Decade.

5. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That is fantastic! I had the privledge of playing a USA and Skyline Decade back when they were introduced. They were the instruments that convinced me to build a dual darkstar bass. Of course mine isn't as nice as either, but I get by.

stringthrough likes this.
  6. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Always wanted to try a Decade. Such a cool bass.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021