1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Lakland USA Series 44-60 (VINTAGE J) Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassBlue, Jul 27, 2020.

1. BassBlue

BassBlue Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Well, here it is, yet again, another NBD of mine :D I REALLY hope this one is the last one for a long while (well, maybe except of 44-64 :D)

Introducing to you a 2020 Lakland USA 44-60 3TSB Custom (well the only thing custom here was a VVT instead of stacked knobs), which I picked up from Lakland factory this afternoon. I am local.

First, the neck feels amazing which is what most people have said on this forum and YT. Finish and quality of this instrument are simply outstanding. John took care of me in best possible manner as a client/customer and I feel honored to have met him. I am now a proud owner of this Lakland jazz bass.

I know, photos or there is no bass :D
    20200727_142959.jpg 20200727_143005.jpg 20200727_143013.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Beautiful, congrats!

basspraiser and BassBlue like this.
  3. GregC

GregC Questlove, Black Thought, Hamilton Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Congrats! I love my 2 US Lakies, and John and company are excellent.

basspraiser, JEDI BASS and BassBlue like this.
  4. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    That is wonderful. Really nice. Happy NBD.

BassBlue likes this.
  5. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I was able to spend some time with "her" this evening. OMG! The playability of this Lakland is simply amazing. Each note is full, precise and stable (if that's the term). Just feels right and it plays right. I am literally in love with this instrument.

In the past 2-3 years, I have had Fenders (few of them), Sadowsky NYC (smaller profiled body was too small for my long arms), and only Fender American Ultra Jazz bass (which IMO was crafted REALLY REALLY well and its neck was amazing too) and the Sadowsky Satin (aside from the comfort level), were the only two bases I enjoyed owning past the first week after receiving 'em. ;)

Really happy about this purchase.

BTW, bass is strung with Lakland SS (which I am told are the GHS Steels), and while the tension is good, the clank is just driving me nuts :D Have not played SS strings forever and while I can't wait to swap them for nickels (either Sunbeams or Dunlop Super Bright nickels), I am wanting to give them some time to break. Will it happen?

GregC likes this.
  6. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone knows what kind of button these are, so I can get a matching locking part for the strap?

John said they were Dunlop but I do not think they are. Are they Schaller strap locks? Or just a button for the strap?

20200728_160532.jpg

7. Yummy Notes

Yummy Notes

Dec 20, 2019
    Very nice, congrats and enjoy-- which sounds like you already are

BassBlue likes this.
  8. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    Profile looks Schaller-like, but my Schallers don’t have the Phillips-head drivers inside.
    Nice bass!

BassBlue likes this.
  9. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks! I was thinking of Schaller but yeah, still it's not what its pictures show.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have the 5-string version. Great passive Jazz!

BassBlue likes this.
  11. BassBlue

Sep 28, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    John from Lakland wrote me back. Its non locking strap, just a button. He offered to swap it out for Dunlop Straplok. YAY!

12. Congratulations! Hoping to add one of these to my roster.

BassBlue likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021