1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Landscape ARB 204-FL

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo-E, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Okay, not exactly new. It arrived last Thursday and I've been pretty busy.

I've been jonesing for one of these for several years and, when a used one showed up on Ebay, my wife and sister went halfs and bought it for my birthday. I have a really good wife and a really good sister!

Without further ado, bad phone pictures:
    IMG_1170.JPG
    I added a strap button:
    IMG_1171.JPG
    The string spacing was much too narrow for the width of the fingerboard (a mod by the last owner, I suspect) so I made a new nut out of ebony and corrected the spacing:
    IMG_1172.JPG
    I corrected the spacing at the bridge as well:
    IMG_1173.JPG

The bass came with what I believe are Ernie Ball flats on it. I like them okay, but I'll probably restring it with TI flats next time I order strings.

The electronics are a neck soapbar and a bridge piezo. Volume, blend and tone - all passive. I was skeptical about a passive blend between a mag and a piezo, but it works okay. I tried plugging directly into an amp as well as through my LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI and didn't really notice a significant difference, so I'm just going to forego the preamp.

The bass plays and sounds wonderful ( and doesn't look half bad, either!). I'm a happy guy.

Reedt2000, markroman, bdgotoh and 2 others like this.
  2. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Good for you. It looks warm and..well...bassy! Probably sounds great.

Just no slapping!

Lo-E likes this.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    No, no slapping for this bass!

MEKer likes this.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Looks like a nice bass. Congrats.

Lo-E likes this.
  5. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Basic beauty.

Lo-E likes this.
  6. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    You should call it Norman. Norman Bass

Because... Landscape.

markroman and Lo-E like this.
  7. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    That's pretty hilarious. I remember that song!

Mark76 likes this.
  8. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    It is, indeed! These are a sub-brand of the Japanese custom shop Atelier-Z.
    If I have my facts straight, these are all made by the head luthier there and the Landscape brand is sort of his baby.
    Solid spruce top, maple back and sides... it's pretty much a hand-built jazz guitar, but with a bass neck.
    ...and really nice to play!

Reedt2000 and bholder like this.
  9. I know this is thread resurrection...but....I thought you might like to know another talkbasser who has a Landscape ARB 204-FL. I found it on eBay used and it was sent from Japan. I'm really blown away by how this bass plays and sounds. There's a lot more in this thing than upright sounds. Very strange how relatively unknown the brand, much less the instrument, is in the U.S. Would like to compare notes with you over time. Thanks for your original post. You actually exposed me to the instrument for the first time.

scuzzy likes this.