1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Ledbelli MJB 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Musicman81, Mar 15, 2013.

1. www.ledbellibass.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/LedBelli-BASS-Guitars/114393258596273?fref=ts

Check the Facebook page and website for more pictures of this actual bass.

MJB= Modern Jazz Bass

35" scale
    Nordstrand Big Split pickups
    Nitrocellulose Crimson Burst
    Flame maple top/back
    Ash body
    Flame maple neck w/ beautiful Birdseye fretboard
    Mike Pope Flexcore preamp Vol/Blend/Passive Tone Control/Low Mid/Hi mid/Bass/Treble
    Hipshot hardware
    19mm

I ordered this a few months back from Cleve and received it last Friday. Its a brand new model he is putting in to production and I ordered the first one from him. I didn't have much time to play it the first couple of days due to my work schedule and also wanted to give it some time before I posted a review of sorts.

I've had some more time over the last few days with it and am really pleased with the construction and playability. It rivals any of the big names out there. The neck is a satin finish and is fast and smooth. It's not chunky from front to back and sort of reminds me of a Lakland 55-94. It very comfortable to play. It's 1.75" at the nut if I remember correctly.

The finish is absolutely gorgeous! I wanted a subtle burst and Cleve was kind enough to send me samples before we finalized the finished. It's a real stunner! Even more so in person. I about did a back flip when I saw it in person.

I haven't weighed it yet but I would say its somewhere in the 9.5-10lb range.

The pickups are Nordstrand Big Splits and they sound wonderful in active or passive mode. I've yet to find a sound I don't like. The pickup spacing is quite a bit more modern than your standard J bass. Cleve suggested this spacing for a punchier/more aggressive tone and I figured why not give it a shot. I love how the neck pickup sounds in this position. It's very punchy and sort of p bass like. I've never really been one to favor the bridge pickup, but it sounds very good soloed also. It's a bit thicker sounding than your typical J bass pickup and has a very nice musical quality.

I wouldn't call this bass a typical jazz bass as you would probably guess by the pickup placement and type of pickups but more of a Modern Jazz Bass MJB as the model name suggests. However, it is still able to retain a lot of the jazz bass tones you would hear in a classic jazz bass but definitely has it's own character, which is a good thing. The split pickups probably lose a little bit of top end I would assume but with the combination of the preamp and passive tone control you can dial in some very nice top end.

I really feel like Cleve's work needs to be displayed and discovered, and that's why I wanted to make this thread. I, myself learned about him last year while browsing the Luthiers section of Talkbass and always thought his work was beautiful.

His communication and attention to detail throughout the whole process was amazing. I can tell he really takes pride in his work and is a true craftsman. This bass not only sounds great but is a piece of art. It's a totally custom bass and definitely doesn't feel like your everyday, off the shelf model.

You can check out his other models and pricing on his website and see more pictures of my actual bass on his facebook page. I'm sure he will be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Signed,
    Happy Ledbelli Owner

Attached Files:

2. Here are a few studio shots from the Ledbelli facebook page.

Attached Files:

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Very cool! I like that pickup placement.

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    +1 on that, Smperry! I wish more companies placed the pups like that!

5. wednesdayagain

wednesdayagain

Sep 28, 2012
    MA
    That looks absolutely stunning!

6. Thanks guys! I really dig the pickup spacing. The finish looks even more beautiful in person. It's a real stunner!

7. Fenwick

Fenwick

Dec 9, 2012
    Montreal
    Maybe a stupid question but are those Big Splits in a soapbar casing? Dont they come in JB casings too? And if so, what made you decide to go with the soaps?

8. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    That is a beautiful bass! Very eye catching. Congrats!

9. The Big Splits come standard in a soapbar casing. There is no option as to casing. I had experience with Big Splits in a Valenti PJ bass I owned and liked the way they sounded.

Also, I forgot to mention the fretwork is outstanding and the low b string is a killer.

10. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Oh yum I'm gonna have to load the website at home so I can see just how out of budget this is!
    Flash enabled sites don't load on iPhone...

11. LedBelli Bass

LedBelli Bass Fine, Handmade Custom Bass Guitars

Dec 25, 2008
    Pasco, WA
    Thank you, Jason, for your kind words! I'm glad that you are happy with your instrument!

12. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1376002651.270536.
    This bass is a keeper.