1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - LTD B-55 w/upgrades

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C_Becker, May 1, 2017.

1. C_Becker

C_Becker

Mar 30, 2017
    Germany
    Hey TB,

I always lusted for a P/J bass, but I wanted a 5-string.
    Since I own another LTD, which is fantastic, this little guy came in the mail.

IMG_20170501_111523711.

Overall fit and finish is really good, no rough or high frets or anything. Only bummer is that the nut is cut a little low on the E and A strings. I temporarily fixed it with superglue but I'll have the nut changed later on.

It also has a nice sustain, which I didn't expect in that price class.

The stock pickups were ok, but a little low on character and output.

I wanted a passive bass, so I ripped out the one-knob-preamp and the stock pickups and replaced them with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders.

The pickups are a little weird on this one, the P-Pickup is a hair larger than standard 4-string size and the J-pickup is 5-string neck size.

So thats what I went with, I figured that the large polepieces of the QP were my best bet.
    Had some speed knobs lying around, so those went on as well, I like having the numbers on the knobs and they look nice.

IMG_20170501_111550393.

And they do work really nicely, even though I had to turn down the bass side of the pickups a bit so that the B-string wasn't overwhelming.

Still have the stock strings on, gonna buy some EB Cobalts next week for even more aggressive sound :bassist:

Overall I am now very happy with this especially for the price.
    I really like the ability to mix between the P and J pickup.

Finally, a pic of my little bass family

IMG_20170428_142952709.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.