1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Lull'd into a PJ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nostatic, Sep 29, 2010.

1. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    The search for a missing puzzle piece continued. Have the jazz gigs covered with the Deep5, and that also covers fretless needs. One downside to playing in 4 or 5 different bands is that one bass certainly won't cover everything though. There are some tunes and situations that really need roundwounds/mag pup. The Solid4 fits that definition, but it is a 4-string (which I'm getting more used to but still am primarily a 5 kinda guy), and it also doesn't have a lot of tone variability. It nails the vintage P thing, but sometimes a different sound is needed. I sold the Zon 5, which was very fast but also very "modern" in tone with the soapbars both close to the bridge.

My "ideal" swiss army bass is PJ, 18mm bridge spacing, alder/rw, sunburst/tort, and light weight. The Sadowsky I had was a great sounding bass, but 19mm spacing and 9.5lbs wasn't cutting it for me. I was close to ordering a Nordy, but was waiting for my work situation to solidify before I committed. Plus I'm impatient :p

Enter the Lull PJ at Corner Music in TN. 18mm spacing (that is their stock spacing), alder/rw, sunburst/tort, and 8.2lbs. At a great price. Sold.

Played it in the office and was impressed with the action. Very low, great neck feel, and fairly resonant. Was excited to get home and plug it in, and thought that maybe I could sell the Solid 4 if this would carry the mail. Got home, plugged it in, and was not floored. Played it back to back with the Solid 4 and got depressed. It just didn't have the round tone with some bite that I was looking for. Kinda not a fair fight though, as the Solid 4 is ridiculously resonant and sounds like an amazing old P-bass. Did some pup height tweaks and again it played awesome but just didn't sound like I hoped.

Then Sparky the Neuron fired, and I decided to head down to my local shop to get a set of Sunbeams (that is what is on the Solid 4). No telling how old or what type of strings are on the Lull (probably the original ones that shipped around the first of the year). Slapped the new strings on, tuned it up and did the blind sound test with the g/f. Went between the two basses - she had a tough time telling the difference. Transformed the bass. Then dialed in the J pup and got more of a J-ish tone. Not my typical tone goal, but nice to have.

Anywho...apologies for the crappy photos.

lull1.jpg

lull2.jpg

lull3.jpg

lull4.jpg

lull5.jpg

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nice. Congrats. I think Lull & Sadowski are my fave for fenderish looking etc basses. Looks like a very nicely done sunburst finish on that one to.

3. I'm picking mine up tomorry. I'm super excited and interested in how it'll stack up to the Sadowsky Metro P/J I had.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    The P bass pickup almost looks better then P pickups on other 5 strings that I have seen. But it looks different at the same time.

5. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Hmm, not sure about different. I believe Fender uses covers that are different sizes. I'm actually partial to the staggered magnets on the Nordys, and may try those at some point:

[​IMG]

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I don't care for the lopsided coils on the Fender P5. Wouldn't be a deal-breaker, but I'd get one with a tort guard because that would hide the asymmetry better than white.

Gorgeous Lull, btw. Classy!

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
    Nice Lull! Thats a 35" scale thought right?

8. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Yup, 35". Not an issue as my Deep5 is 35" scale as well. So far not really noticing too much of a difference. It is making it hard to rationalize keeping the Solid 4 though...

9. Just open my Lull P/J 5. This is the first nice passive bass I've owned and so far I'm pretty happy. The P-pickup is a bit boomier than I like but I'll adjust the height and hopefully that'll do the trick. I can't say I miss the active controls except for maybe a bit of bass rolloff. This bass came with an additional pickguard I may wire with a set of Nordies to V/V/T. The bass plays very well and is a bit more organic sounding than my Sadowsky Metro p/j but has a nice modern bite. It's also deceptively light at about 8.5 lbs. The neck is wide and thin from front to back.... a bit of a departure from what I like about my beefy Spector necks but nice and quite playable. For a 35" scale bass the string tension has a nice lax feel while still sounding tight all around. Of course the string are probably a pretty big factor and I'm just not sure what they are.

It's a very nice bass and at very least as good as the Sadowsky Metro but for an incredibly well set up USA bass. I'm a bass tinkerer so I'll have to mess with it but Ima keep it passive and see where we can go from there.

LullPJ5BodyFront-1.jpg
    LullPJ5Front-1.jpg

10. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I am loving all of these P5's....I just got a new one (not a lull, but a lakland) but these Lulls are gorgeous!

11. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    I general with PJs the P pup should be a fair amount lower than the J - nature of the beast.

12. Congratulations to you! And don't sell yourself short on the pics - they look great. What a wonderful looking instrument. Great story about the strings, too. Some folks love 'em (obviously), but I'm just not a fan of the Dunlops that come stock...and coincidentally I'm a total Sunbeam nut. All of my Lulls wear them...absolutely my favorite string set for these basses. Here's wishing you many years of enjoyment with this one.

13. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    thx - already digging this bass. And it is so damn comfy to wear :D

A quick sonic example. First is the PJ with both pups wide open, second is just the P pup, third is the Rob Allen Solid 4, last is the Rob Allen Mouse. My "P-Bass variants" in the house

http://nostatic.com/mp3/pbasses.mp3

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021