NBD Luna Short Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by macmanlou, Dec 16, 2014.

1. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I just took delivery on a 30" Luna Tattoo bass. Made in China, its got a mahogany body, maple neck, "Precision-style" pickups and the neck width is 1 5/8" at the nut. It weighs in at 7.2lb. It came with roundwound strings which will soon be replaced with LaBella flats. Factory setup is pretty good. I plan to keep it at work for some lunch hour woodshedding. $199 at Luna Guitars and available at some of the online retailers. Luna also has a 34" scale version of the same style.

IMG_0008.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  2. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    Love the moon dot inlays. Nice lookin bass. Would like to hear how it sounds if possible.

3. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Nice price for a short scale p, good score

4. gfen

gfen

Aug 21, 2014
    lehigh valley
    stayed at a holiday inn, once...
    Huh, I didn't see those, that is sweet.

The wood is carved, or is that just stained/screened/etc on?

5. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    It's carved, actually laser etched. Here's a better photo (not my bass):

MIG_0159.jpg

B-Mac likes this.
  6. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I put a set of LaBella short scale Deep Talkin' Flats on it yesterday - 45-105. They do fit (just barely long enough). The original roundwounds were very close to the same diameter and the new LaBellas didn't change the setup measurements enough to require a truss rod, action or intonation adjustment (and that's the first time that's happened for me). It plays and sounds great.

Another nice surprise was how well the frets are finished:

IMGP0035.JPG

B-Mac likes this.
  7. pudge

pudge

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I like it!

8. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Nice ! Full figured body and nice neck grain. There's something about a skinnied out P body that just don't git it for my eyes.

9. jaxom

jaxom

Aug 31, 2008
    New Castle, PA
    I really like the looks of these. Any sound clips? Would like to hear an update after you've had a little time with it..

10. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    In the meantime, I can tell you that it now sounds a lot like a Fender Mustang or Precision with flatwounds, and I couldn't find any dead spots.

The stock roundwounds (about .045 - .105") are probably good, but I took them off as soon as I finished trying out the electrics.

B-Mac likes this.
  11. Mrkgtr49

Mrkgtr49 Guest

Jun 13, 2017
    Quick question: is the body the same size as a standard P-Bass body, or has it been scaled down?

12. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    The body is not scaled down. Luna uses the same body with their 34" scale Tattoo.

13. Mrkgtr49

Mrkgtr49 Guest

Jun 13, 2017
    Thanks! Ive been looking for a P-Bass w/a full sized body and a 30" scale length. This is the first one I've found.

Brookmichael likes this.
  14. netsmith2001

netsmith2001

Sep 3, 2007
    Novato, CA
    Hi there -
    I like the looks, description and price of this bass.
    What is the weight?
    I'm looking for something under 10 pounds.
    Thanks.

15. macmanlou

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I passed the bass along to an aspiring young player some time ago, so I can't weigh it now. I recall that it felt about as heavy as my MIJ Mustang, which is a little over 8 pounds. Squier SS Jaguars are generally much lighter (agathis body), but they also tend to have neck dive. The Luna was much better balanced.

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I'm a fan of inexpensive shortscales, it's all I gig with now, but the tattoo doesn't work for me.

17. I agree, the tattoo is something I'm having trouble with. I like the not scaled down "body" size and the short scale. I wonder if you could fill in, sand, and refinish with like ebony stain or just repaint body.
    That's my comment, anybody done that?