1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Lyte content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aahzz, Jan 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    So I still wasn't getting along with the neck on my Schecter Model T, and have had it on Craigslist for a couple months...finally, yesterday, I see a listing for a guy that wants to trade his bass for something with a larger neck - and thus, I find myself the extremely happy owner of a 1991/1992 (per Fender Serial number site) MIJ Precision Bass Lyte. 3/4 size P body with a J neck, active P/J pickups. This thing is LIGHT - I haven't weighed it, but it weighs less than my Strat - it feels like a feather. On top of that, it sounds and plays great - it just might be a keeper, will know more after I hear it through my real rig at band practice on Wednesday....

On to the pics:
    plyte1. plyte2.

Fenderon, R&B, moshspeggeti and 22 others like this.
  2. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Yeah, why not? Nice.

3. If you ever decide you don't want that, contact me first. Years ago I had a 1989/1990 P-Lyte that looked EXACTLY like that. It was stolen from me about 2 decades ago, and I've wanted to get another one since. Very nice basses, and lightweight just like my back and shoulder prefer them to be.

prister, Roberto Nunez and NealBass like this.
  4. prister

prister

Nov 18, 2016
    Poldark country
    I play sitting down mostly because of sciatica, so light would be a strong purchase motivation. Maybe that way I could stand up and rock for a minute or two. I've read good things about these guitars, nice tobacco burst as well.

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

very nice! my fretted instrument is a p-lyte and i love the neck and of course the reduced weight. i think you did well in your trade to get something you like...enjoy. congratulations! :thumbsup:

6. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    I wasn't entirely sure I was going to dig the active pickups, but so far I really like the tones I'm getting...

7. Dynomuttasaurus

Dynomuttasaurus

Jul 23, 2016
    Milwaukee
    My go-to bass is a '87 Lyte for all the reasons you experiencing. There may be better sounding basses, but the total package of feel, weight, sound, looks and price makes the Lyte a great answer at practice or on the stage.

Aahzz likes this.
  8. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    I have that exact bass hanging on my wall. Coincidentally, it has a Martin acoustic hanging to the right of it. I love that bass. It was the first one I bought with my own money in 1991.

9. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I got mine a year ago - love it. You may want to post your new acquisition in the Lyte Club:

Pbass lyte club?

10. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've never been a big fan of that particular finish, but that wouldn't stop me. Everything else about those basses is GREAT! You definitely traded up!:thumbsup:

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I've seen these, and they are incredibly light. Given how many players want lightweight basses, I bet Fender could revive this model successfully. Seems like a good opportunity for them, and it's not like they're afraid to have zillions of variations on the P & J themes in their product line. G&L has done well with lightweight empress wood as an option -- no question the market is there.

12. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    It wouldn't've been my first finish choice either, but it looks better in person than the pics, and I'll certainly be seen playing it. This one being 26 years old also has enough dings both to show that it's been loved in the past and to make me feel perfectly comfortable taking it to gigs without any worries about it getting messed up :).

wvbass likes this.
  13. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Boy am I igornant. I've never heard of this bass. Sounds very interesting.

14. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Congrats and nice bass! What is the scale length on it? Is it 34" or a shorter 32"?

15. Susqmike

Susqmike

Nov 15, 2011
    Had one back in the day. Good bass! Congrats and Enjoy!

16. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    They look a little too plain for my tastes. I'd make a "51 Lyte" out of it! 51plyte2.

17. BrentD

BrentD

Jun 7, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    That looks kinda like a cowpoke!

18. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    Great score...bass is worth every bit of the trade! Easy to play neck too.

19. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I've owned 2 of these in the past. They're 34" scale. The body is downsized, and the neck is pretty slim, though.

20. these things are very under rated and a great value. enjoy it !