1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: Mapleglo Ric 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Oct 10, 2020.

1. image_67367425 (1).JPG

image_67367425.JPG

image_17035777.JPG

image_17035777 (1).JPG

For me, it’s the bass I wanted since I started playing back in the 1980s. I’ve had it 24 hours, and I can’t put it down.

I was worried that the neck might be too wide for me, but, I adapted easily and find it comfortable to play after only a few hours.

It looks and sounds fantastic.

Some questions for Ric owners:

I see some folks have the bridge pick up off. I’m not sure I want to do that, but if I decide to: Do I have to replace the bezel

The bridge pick up is slighter hotter than the neck. Is this the charm of the Ric, or should I adjust (sounds good now!)

How do the mutes work? Thumb screws I suppose.

Best “Rick-O-Sound” like box on the market? I have a stereo cable with a splitter... but maybe I’d like a some sort of box.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Attached Files:

2. 80jazz

80jazz

Jun 28, 2008
    Kansas
    I am not sure if the box would be necessary. I would just rock 2 amps for that.

As for the bezel, you do not have to replace it. My 4003s has its PU cover removed and I have considered a bezel, but who knows if/when I will do that.

If you like the way the pickups sound at the current height, I would leave it.

Congrats on the purchase! Rics are fun basses. My next one will be a 4003W.

GreggBummer, jamro217 and bobyoung53 like this.
  3. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    Nice bass. Enjoy.

GreggBummer and jamro217 like this.
  4. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Ive used one of these split boxes for a few years now..when younger I used to make my own split box but as I got old and lazy I bought this one..it works well..you can buy custom made stereo cable from this guy also if needed..no affiliation btw.
    RICH-E-SPLIT 1.JPG

5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

Very nice!
    What year? Brand new?
    I own a 2009 Mapleglo
    How's your neck at the nut?
    I have the Hipshot bridge on mine for easier access to the saddles for intonation.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  6. gwangi

gwangi Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Forbidden Valley
    Looks like this guy's site is closed:

Rich-E-Split

Giffro likes this.
  7. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Bugga..thanks for the heads up..glad I bought mine a few years ago when I did then.

GreggBummer likes this.
  8. WillyWonka

WillyWonka Fretless with a pick Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2019
    The cover can be taken off and the hole left there.

-or- treble bezel or Rickenbacker make these hoodads to cover the hole. (Mine is the Rickenbacker one)

I took my bridge apart and trimmed back the factory mute foam and rebent the metal so it muted evenly. (I also added a strip of eggcrate foam too)

There is a magnet mod to the neck pickup, to make it more even with the bridge.

CEEC938C-6187-41C7-BF68-7229895B693D.jpeg

CBB2CB45-2490-4844-98ED-3DBC6706934B.jpeg

9. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Ahhh..that hoodad would be the same type of thingy as an Aussie thingamejig I would say loll

George Dennis and WillyWonka like this.

10. It's been all the rage for the past few years to buy a bezel for when you take the cover off but I've never found the need for one and actually think they look a little strange, probably because I've been seeing Rics since the mid 70's with the covers off. I'm playing my '79 mapleglo 4001 with no cover or bezel right now. The mute works with the thumbscrews, I used it sometimes, not many people do, McCartney used his a lot though. They stopped making Ric-o-sound boxes a long time, i had one but long gone unfortunately. The bridge is usually a little hotter, you can adjust it to where you like it though. Ric sets the pickup heights equal or they used to. I've been looking for a new ric-o-sound box, there was a guy who made them but he's on hiatus right now.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  11. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Nov 8, 2019
    New York, USA

zie likes this.
  12. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    In High School I had a jazz, my counterpart had a Ric... I played it.. fell in love with it... and about 40 years later I finally bought one. What is it with us old farts waiting forever to get the stuff we want?

Congrats! Gorgeous bass!

13. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Congrats On the lovely mapleglo!

1) You do not have to replace the bezel, but it's more comfortable to. The housing metal can be a little sharp.
    2) The bridge pickup is a lot hotter than the neck. In stock form, think of the neck pickup as a flavour enhancer for the bridge. If this isn't to your liking, lots of people are adding neodymium magnets to the bottom of the neck pickup to boost its output. Careful if you have a pacemaker.
    3) Yep.
    4) Your splitter will get the job done.

GreggBummer and Giffro like this.
  14. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    There is RickySounds in the UK where I have bought a few items from and he supplies a heap of Ric stereo cable stuff also..can be a bit pricey though. I get my Ric strings and a couple Ric nuts from him in the past..guy called Robbie Bryan...no affiliation btw
    Stereo-Rama Archives - For Everything Rickenbacker

GreggBummer and bobyoung53 like this.

15. I almost bought some hairpin truss rods from him once but I was able to get mine sorted out, does he makes the boxes?

Giffro likes this.
  16. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Far as I can discern bob he (RickySounds) labels the cables and split boxes with his company name and logo so I cant say for sure..but the Rich-E-Split box guy makes them himself..he seems to be taking a break at the moment but says he will resume..i put the link up earlier and WillyW found out he was closed temporarily..here is the link again for his boxes...although he isnt open at present.
    Rich-E-Split

bobyoung53 likes this.

17. I found the Rich-E-Split box last night coincidentally but am looking at the RickySounds boxes right now, thanks.

Giffro likes this.
  18. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I have had to buy the orig Ric strings from him at RickySounds and have him ship to me in Australia because I simply cant buy them from anywhere here is Oz and the music shops here arent allowed to sell them because of Rickenbacker restrictions, so RickySounds UK has been my source for the 95511 45-105 Ric sets of strings.

bobyoung53 likes this.

19. I've used so many different strings over the years, started with Rotosounds, went to Blue steels, then to various flats and rounds. I've got Fender flats on mine right now, they really sound good. I've used the original strings a few times too.

Giffro likes this.
  20. nilorius

nilorius Inactive Suspended

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Superstishous !!!!

GreggBummer likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020