NBD: Maruszczyk Jake 5p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xbud, Apr 25, 2019.

1. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    I've been waiting for the opportunity to explore a new bass "brand" and "type" that wasn't the same as I have been playing for years (Ibanez Prestige / Premium 5 Strings) but wasn't too far of a departure from what I was used to regarding string spacing, weight, growl, neck shape,....etc....etc.

All of the "middle" tier basses I was looking at had wide string spacing (18mm or more), or was heavier (9.5 lb. or more). I had it narrowed down to a few, but there wasn't any shops in the area that carried most of the basses I was looking at in stock to try....so I relied on most of the TB reviews (thank you!) and info I could find on other sites.

When I stumbled on to the Maruszczyk Jake 5p, below, with 17mm string spacing, slightly heavier than 9 lbs. I was intrigued....I never heard the Delano pickups in this bass before, and I was a little turned off by the passive preamp, but I took a chance and purchased it anyway.

Big Thanks to Ned at VSN Guitars for answering all my questions with the upmost patience and excellent service!!! Thanks Ned!!

Glad I did.....first this bass looks much better in person than the pictures, for whatever the reason, this bass is not photogenic, or I need a better phone camera. The aqua color scheme is fantastic, with the wood grain finish pattern, it adds some depth to the look. The neck is a slight departure from what I am used to (thin C shape), but I seem to be adapting easily....The birds-eye maple neck board is very smooth and clean and meshes well with the body and ties together nicely with the matching colored head stock.

It sounds phenomenal, very clean and even up and down the neck, the Delano pickups are very clean (hi-fi) sounding, with a lot of tonal variation from the tone knob.....Not sure I will be keeping the passive preamp, I really like the Audere preamps, and I think this bass would benefit greatly from one with at least a 3 band (more likely 4 band) Audere Classic.

The only drawback that I realized quickly was a dead E-String......For whatever reason the rest of the strings sounded bright and evenly matched, but the E-String was flat. It was a quick and easy fix - New Strings!

So far, I am very happy with the purchase, I think the quality and appeal is worth the price of admission. Which was reasonable considering 2 of the 3 other options I was considering was $100's more......

Jake 5p A.jpg Jake 5p B.jpg Jake 5p C.jpg

CameronJohnson, DJ '65, MCF and 30 others like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Super cool!

Aquaburst on ash. Pearloid. Matching headstock. Maple board.

What's not to like????

MCF, Thundar, G RICH 5 and 2 others like this.
  3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I'd rock that :thumbsup:

I really like the pickup combo. Congrats!

osonu and xbud like this.
  4. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Congratulations, you took the right decision! :thumbsup::cool:

I invite you to join us here too:

The Official MARUSZCZYK CLUB!

xbud likes this.
  5. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Mine quickly became my main player! Congrats!

s-l400 (2).jpg

6. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    I can see that happening quickly......Tonight's band practice will tell the tale!!

7. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    Thanks for the invite.....That thread is the part of the reason I went with the Maruszczyk.

BassmanM likes this.
  8. BassmanM

BassmanM

Feb 17, 2011
    Hamburg, Germany
    Great! :thumbsup:

I'm sure our fellow Maruszczyk club members would be delighted to learn about your purchase and see pics of your beautiful Jake. :drool:;)

9. Killer bass that is!
    Here are a couple of examples with active electronics.
    You may have seed these already, but there’s no hurt in seeing them again! :thumbsup:

10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Congrats on a beautiful Bass. I love the Aqua Burst. Ash is easily my favorite body wood these days too.

xbud likes this.
  11. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    if there is a 19mm version i want it!! love the sound of MM-P.

BassmanM, xbud and tedsalt like this.
  12. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Very nice. Kinda like the Sandberg California VM5 basses I've been seeing around. That's a really awesome color combination you got. Congrats.

xbud likes this.
  13. [​IMG]

xbud likes this.
  14. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I believe this bass does actually have 19mm spacing. And it definitely has an active preamp (with push/pull pot to bypass the preamp).

5-String | Public Peace

edit: looks like the "Jake L" is 17mm spacing. but definitely an active preamp.

15. xbud

xbud Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Southwestern, PA
    Funny you mention that, I almost pulled the trigger on a Sandberg California VM5, they are extremely sharp as well......

16. That's beautiful!
    Welcome to the Maruszczyk family! :)

xbud likes this.
  17. Lava

Lava Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2014
    El Paso, TX
    Wow, that's nice! Loving that P/MM Delano combo.

xbud and Reedt2000 like this.
  18. One of the great things about Maruszczyk is that you can specify *everything* just the way you want, for little extra money (and sometimes for no additional money)... I own two and owned a third one that I ended up selling... I always specify the neck profile (by giving width and depth dimensions at various points along the neck, to replicate my favourite neck), I have specified pickup positions that are non standard, finishes, custom logos... and of course hardware and electronics.

xbud and And I like this.
  19. Beautiful bass!

xbud likes this.
  20. I've just ordered a Sandberg VM4 :)
    Sandberg and Maruszczyk both make great instruments. Maruszczyk instruments are easier/less costly to customise, but Sandberg are probably a little better. Both are miles away Fenders in the same price range.

CameronJohnson and xbud like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021