1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD (MIJ Jaguar Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bodeanly, Sep 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    So, I was on the eBays and noticed this MIJ Jag from a seller a few towns over. I figured I could make a low ball offer, then cruise over to avoid the shipping fees. I ended up winning the auction, then the following conversation took place:

Me: Hello. We're practically neighbors. Would you mind if I do a local pickup? I can pay cash.
    Seller: You can come by the house. No cash though. Gotta be Paypal. I will refund shipping.
    Me: That's cool. Would you like to meet in public? People from the internet can be scary sometimes (I've been jumped trying to sell a fridge on CL, but did not include this info).
    Seller: I don't @$#%@$ing need to meet in public. If you're scared, have a county deputy meet you here.

By then, I had already submitted my payment, noticing the seller's email included the words "guns" and "ammo"

So, I'm pooping bricks, convinced that this guy is going to mount my head over his fireplace for getting such a great deal on his bass. I tell my friends where I will be, at what time, and to delete my google search history should anything happen to me.

I show up and this older dude is packing boxes on the patio with his wife, black lab at her feet. He's got a burly beard and presumably a corncob pipe in his back pocket. He pulls out a large knife and hands it to me, telling me he'd boxed up the bass before he knew he was gonna sell it locally. I carefully cut it open, and tell him how long I'd been searching for a MIJ Jag, but holding out for a sweet deal. I noodled on it while we talked a bit about McCartney, Sting, and Entwistle. He showed me his Beatles guitar collection (he bought one of each model of bass and guitar that McCartney and Lennon played). We shook hands, I pet the dog, then went to band practice.
    IMG_3263 copy.

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Thankfully, you weren't kilt. After all, anyone crazy enough to sell his CIJ Jag is crazy enough to do anything! :eek:

:D

Tbone76, Spectrum, P. Aaron and 5 others like this.
  3. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Right?!

4. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Nice find! I have the same one but with a tort guard.

Bodeanly likes this.
  5. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Man, I'm considering this, but then it would match my MP Jag. Decisions, decisions.

6. LowEndOperative

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    Here's my tort-laden Jag. Don't mean to sway ya!

IMG_0029.JPG

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Oh that is a great combo.

How about a nautical themed Jag? (I got this Jag in a trade a while back, I immediately removed all the stickers)

Attached Files:

8. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Gosh dang! Sweet!

9. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have a few Jags; One MIJ and one MIA. Ive played with switching up the pickguards on both of them to get a good look. My MIJ is Red, matching headstock, with black Pickguard. My MIA is black with a black pickguard. Both kinda unique. I can get the deepest richest sound from my Jags.

10. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    Beautiful basses both! I'm liking the white PG more than I would have expected! And I am a died in the wool tort guy! Nothing against yours, Britt, but I've actually been thinking about switching the tort off a couple I had previously added tort to! Every 30 or 40 years my tastes change a bit, I guess.
    Any pics after?

Loving this thread so far! Finishing up a Jagenstein and can't decide on a pickguard. I started out kinda stealthy with a black (painted) PG, but I'm not loving it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  11. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    Nice man love my Olympic white mij, you won't regret taking the risk!

12. LowEndOperative

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I like the white as well, but only on the MIA Jag, due to the P bass pickup.

13. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I've got two Jagensteins, both with Squier bodies and MP necks. The one on the left is my B-E-A-D bass.

IMG_3264.JPG

14. RiZzBot

RiZzBot bass+beer+broken strap locks= :'( Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    Noooo! By removing the stickers, you took away all its mojo. jkjk... Nice bass btw; love the color. :D

Bugeyed Earl and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  15. RiZzBot

RiZzBot bass+beer+broken strap locks= :'( Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    210, Texas
    Never realized how much I needed one of these basses until I stumbled onto this post. Serious gas attack in 5.4.3.2.1..

16. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    Goodness gracious, what do all of those switches do? I've always been curious...

Bugeyed Earl likes this.
  17. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Duder and el_Bajo_Verde like this.
  18. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    So what'd you pay, if you don't mind?

19. Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    $355.55!!!!!!!

:bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

20. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Well that's a score if I've ever heard of one.

I just missed out on a Squier Affinity P I wanted to defrett and mess around with for $40 on CL, but at least the guy text me back saying it was sold, rather than me sitting and waiting.

Bodeanly likes this.