1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD Mike Dirnt Precision the Jazz bass killer

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brendanbassix, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Hey there this is my first NBD even though since joining I've flipped and popped more basses then I care to imagine but this thing blew my socks off so here goes...

I just got a fender Mike Drint precision bass and it's a great. Now I don't play punk or heavy rock about as heavy as I go is led zeppelin not that I don't listen to other stuff but I mainly play jazz, hip hop and pop as well as the classic rock stuff we all play but I've wanted a good P bass to add some variety to my 3 jazzes. So I had a cij jazz bass that I've had issues with like having to get the frets leveled, maxed truss rod etc plus I like to keep my instruments in newish condition and this one had a lot of dents and scratches but I got it for a great price.

So recently I've been looking at trades and saw an interesting looking bass on a fb page for musicians and this guy wants to swap a mike Drint precision bass for a jazz. After some quick research online it looks great on paper so we meet up plug in and BOOM!! vintage tone tone for days, fantastic pickup not sure if it's as custom shop as they say but it's got the cloth wire and sounds amazing so who cares and sounds like a really good P bass should thick and aggressive to smooth and creamy . The bridge is a badass II which is great never had one before but if Marcus Miller uses one it must be good and the slab body is surprisingly comfortable.

This all leads me to wonder if these had of been labeled something different to a mike Drint bass maybe a postmodern or something they would be raved about anyway pics..
    12549087_180165462343266_8625440208615248729_n. 12735878_189864938039985_1697685358_n.

Attached Files:

2. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    One of the few signature basses I'd consider buying...looks great in black!

brendanbassix likes this.
  3. Yeah it's good looking too, at a glance classic old skool and when you look closer it's got great modern features and the only thing that gives it away as a signature model is a tiny star on the neck plate.

4. Anyone have any experience with the Squier version Mike Dirnt who'd care to comment? Been looking at them online but haven't had an opportunity to play one in person. I'm really more drawn to the classic vibe version but wondering how I'd get along with the slab body on one of these. I have slab body basses already (pre-EB Stingray, a couple Thunderbirds) so should work, eh? Need to just go play one somewhere, I know... Kinda difficult to do being stuck out here in Podunk. Opinions?

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've played the original Dirnt signature. I wouldn't call it a Jazz bass killer in any way as it simply doesn't do most J tones, let alone better than how a J does them.

I would however call it a Jazz bass player killer though, as the neck was so thick you could use it as a club :D

brendanbassix and SunnBass like this.
  6. Very cool! Enjoy!

7. It won't do jazz(bass) tones but it does great Pbass tones :)

I was mainly referring to the fact that my jazz basses sound and feel like little girls basses now and when I want a great all round sound with plenty off balls I go for the precision and now I totally understand the hype.

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Congrats dude! Been GASing for a sunburst one of these for ages, I love the colours on the rw versions just wish they weren't rw :meh:

9. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I used to own both the Fender and Squier versions. The main reason I sold them is because I prefer medium scale basses.
    That being said, the Fender was the best sounding bass Ive ever owned. I attribute that mainly to the '59 CS pickup. I took the
    Badass bridge off and put on a Fender vintage repro bridge because I dont like high mass bridges. It does have a thick neck but that didnt
    bother me. The only thing I didnt like about it was the weight.
    The Squier was very lightweight and had a typical Pbass neck (thinner than the Fender MDP). I never had a problem getting a good sound out of it so I never had a reason to mod it. It was a very comfortable bass to play.
    They both have a forearm contour.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    EdO. and brendanbassix like this.
  10. Yeah aside from the fact that they are roadworn they also don't have the BAII bridge but now have fender's version and the pickup doesn't say it's a custom shop anymore but rather custom wound and while I'm not sure if that is actually a change the pickup in mine is KILLER!!!!. All that said these are fairly minor things and it's would still be a great bass.

Also...Nothing wrong with Mike Dirnt as a player because he does a great job at pop punk style but I do wish the signature bass I own was from a more "credible" player Haha

11. grrg63

grrg63

Dec 14, 2005
    Pittsburgh
    I dont think anybody really cares about that stuff.

Mammoth_Bass and Guinness20 like this.
  12. TOMANO

TOMANO

Oct 31, 2006

13. TOMANO

TOMANO

Oct 31, 2006
    My boss just bought me one this week. I can't stop playing it. Wonderful tone, great response. Love it.