1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: MIM Fender Precision Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Got this plus $250 for my Geddy Lee signature CIJ jazz bass.

Worth it?

Yes. The stock pickup is LOUD and it ROARs, which is surprising from a Mexican-made split-coil pickup. Even without my Sansamp Driver pedal, it still packs a punch. Think I might keep the pickup.

Might change the pickguard, might get a new bridge for it since those stock ones, I despise..

Attached Files:

God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  2. Scungilli

Scungilli Guest

Feb 4, 2014
    Love my mexican precisions. I play them more than my Americans

MovingPitchers likes this.
  3. Very nice and I looove that color! I have owned and played many MIM Fender Precision's in my time, each one was a great bass.

4. I have been searching long and hard for the right precision bass in terms of playability, feel, sound, and tone.

This bass checks 3/4 of those....playability is a bit uncomfortable because the saddle screws are kinda suck and hard to move; I have an extra stock Fender bridge lying around my house somewhere so I'll replace that.

Neck isn't a tree trunk, thank goodness.

5. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Looks super... great colour... pearl guard methinks.

If it were mine I'd swap out the machines for some vintage types or fender 70's.

You will enjoy!

Stock bridge is absolute fine... get some covers for it.

6. I was thinking black or tort...XD...almost like a Nate Mendel type bass

I actually prefer the MIM tuning machine heads because I've had issues with string slippage with vintage Fender 70s ones....for some reason even though I wound the strings up properly.

Stock bridge...eh it's decent. I might get a cover for the pickup

Osztertag2112 likes this.
  7. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Well... it's what it sounds like is most important... what year?

Mine is a 2002 and it sounds great! I was actually knocked out how nice it sounded, thinking I'd have to swap out the pups... no way!

I'm nuts about big back machines, all my basses (fender) have to have them.

It's a lovely looking bass... congrats!

8. I believe mine is also 2002. You're right: the stock pickups are killer! I wish I could say the same about my MIM jazz pickups because they're a lot less lourder than my precision.

I Really love this colour; it's line a wine red which will look sexy with a black pickguard

9. Hahaha I know, right? I find Mexican basses to be a lot more comfortable to play than any American bass I've owned/played.

10. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    Black pg would be awesome! Nate mendel has a great looking bass!!!! Those mim are great i really love mine too

MovingPitchers likes this.
  11. ThemBones

ThemBones

May 2, 2014
    NC
    Great looking bass!

I have a 2007 MIM Pbass and I love it.
    I want to get one more bass just to have a choice of what to play, my biggest problem now is do I get another P which I like the sound or get a J...

12. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I have often commented on here regarding MIM Standard P's when folk assume that they need to change pups, to at least give them a try as is ... the ceramic pups on these P's are nice and hot and not really 'edgy' in a bad way that ceramics often get the wrap for being ...

... with that said, this bass would be from Sept of '01, so it will be alder body instead of poplar .. color will be Midnight Wine ... the necks on these are also a very nice profile, slightly thinner from front to back ... pickguard screw pattern/etc should also be direct replacement with modern USA Fender's as well .... July of '01 was the 'upgrade' date on these early MIM Standards, so this one just made it over that line ... this era ran all the way up to mid '08 with these specs and components ...

... with regards to swapping the machines out, the kinds used on this bass are some of the most readily available, are very inexpensive, easy to replace ($20+ as set brand new), and easy to repair when/if they get sloppy ... they hold reasonably well, and are lighter than many of the alternatives out there ... only downside may be the beveled post, but there are ways around that (if needed) also ... JMHO's of course ;)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    I thought you were madly in love with your Geddy?
    Yes that is a nice Pbass too.

14. ThemBones

ThemBones

May 2, 2014
    NC
    I kinda like the stock pickup in my '07. I have a USA standard PBass pickup I want to try but it doesn't sound bad now.

This part, does this mean the 01 are better than the ones that ran to 08 or just different?
    As mentioned above I have the 07 and I like it but I am thinking hard about getting a Road worn or Classic player.

I am sticking with my tuners for now.

Sorry to Hijack, just didnt know if starting a new thread was worth it.

15. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    It all depends on what rocks your boat. I would not trade my CIJ Geddy for either my AmStd P or Jazz. Yes, I realize there's a dollar value difference. But to me, it would take a lot of effort to reacquire a comparable Geddy Jazz, and not so much to get another AmStd. Of the three the Geddy is the better player and sounds the best - to me. And that's all that counts. So if your MIM P is your better bass then it was a good move.

16. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I am not sure I understand your question ... the MIM Standards such as the OP from the second half of '01, all the way up through the first half of '08, are in essence the same offering, except for colors offered ... there were changes made to this series mid '01 compared to the MIM Standards that preceeded them .. most significantly a pickup change to the 58262/3 set (P Bass), and consistent use of alder as the body wood ...

.. the changes made in '08 to the MIM Standards, were mostly cosmetic, offering a neck and headstock tint, and a new Fender logo, and moving the serial # to the back of headstock ... but more importantly, quality control seemed to take a noticable turn for more consistent on the model at this time, including the weight, which is generally lighter than many of the preceeding years ...

... to say one era is 'better' than the other, becomes subjective ... maybe depends which you have, or are used to, etc ... I tend to prefer the post mid '08 efforts, probably because of the consistency factor, both weight and fit and finish ... but I am sure there are many that will say something different ... it all comes down to what you like, have, and can afford ...

.. hope that answers your question ... ;)

17. I was, but yeah. Needs > Wants.

18. Hmm you're right. I don't mind the logo so much...like who cares...I already have a post-2008 maple neck that is absolutely killer on QC, feel, and results on my MIM 2001 jazz bass (got rid of the old neck because it was having truss rod issues so I sold it to someone who was willing to buy it and fix it up for his own bass)

And yes, the quality is excellent. Even on my MIM P-bass, the neck feels very smooth, no sharp fret ends, frets seem to be leveled although I might get that checked out to be 100% safe. Truss rod works well both ways, and it is very nice.

The MIM pickups on my jazz and precision are LOUD; louder than any Am. std I've played. Heck, all the MIM's I've played except one are loud

19. If u can find one ,get a threaded saddled bridge,the tension of the strings will keep them from moving like the stock mim bridge does

20. I have one on my MIM jazz (the bridge is not pictured on my avatar) but I plan on getting a Babicz FCH or Gotoh 201 for my jazz so I can put the threaded one on the precision...or maybe the other way around