1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - MIM Fender Special Edition P-bass - Natural finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walknbluez, Aug 22, 2012.

1. I already have a MIA Fender P-bass strung with flatwounds and I've always wanted a precision with roundwounds to have both sounds available. So I picked this up off of craigslist today for $275. 2009 MIM Fender Special Edition with ash body, strung with roundwounds, hardshell case (roadrunner brand), extra set of D'Addario chrome flatwounds, high quality padded strap, and tuner (I don't need the tuner). I'm going to put in a MIA pickup to upgrade it. Compared to my MIM Jazz, this is alot lighter which brings me to the question: Does lighter equate to lower quality? Of course, I want to feel like I got an ok deal.

FenderP-Bass.

BigLoopDuke and Thebrownarrow like this.
  2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Nice. Ash bodies on those I believe. Light is good, as long as you like the tone.

3. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    good deal,

4. Yes, bobba66, it's ash. I read that ash is heavier than alder which is puzzling. This bass is much lighter than my other two. The real test will be how it sounds in the mix when I play it with my band.

5. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Lake Conroe, TX
    That's a steal at $275. Cue Rod Stewart...."some guys have all the luck..."

6. Well, 2cooltoolz, that's what I was singing when I got beat out on CL by someone else who snagged a Bergantino NV610 for $565!

7. LOTS of good deals on CL.
    You have to be on top of it, though.
    Nice snag on the bass. Enjoy!
    \
    S

8. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    That's Incredible...There's and idiot here in PHILLY trying to sell a Hofner ICON as the 'real deal' for 2 Grand...

That was a great find!

9. Thats nothing theres a family here who has been trying to sell thier dearly departed's vintage Hohners for 5K for months. While I totaly sympathise with thier loss, the price is totaly unrealistic.

10. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    oceanside
    Awesome! Nice score! Love a natural bass.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    BEEOOOTEEFUL Bass!

The light weight is puzzling but not unusual. It seems the weight of ash bodies varies a lot. In fact, some "custom shops" charge extra to pick out a light ash body from the rest of the usual heavy ones.

And people often pay extra to have a body with killer wood grain picked out for them.

So obviously you scored a double whammy on this bass!

And by the way, I discovered the sense of the one bass with flats and one with rounds thing, when I bought 3 SX 6ers with the intention of making a fretted and fretless pair and then discovered how cool it was to have identical basses with different strings. So they stayed that way and in the end will be a nice trio: Fretless, rounds and flats! I'm still working on the fretless conversion. I made an SX 5er fretless first for practice and now it's on to the 6er.

12. jwj1701

jwj1701

Nov 17, 2011
    Lexington KY
    $275 makes it that much more beautiful.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    lighter than alder is puzzling sayin' the very least!!!

Anyway:
    amazing, awesome natural bass... and with a tort pickguard that demonstrates what I tend to suggest: tortoiseshell is
    "always" better!

Cheers,
    Wallace

PawleeP likes this.
  14. When I was researching this bass prior to buying, I saw other posts on here of people asking about it. So I thought I'd post the specs I received from Fender via email:

Model Name: FSR Standard Precision Bass® (Natural)
    Model Number: 013-0150-(521)
    Series: Standard Series
    Body: Ash
    Neck: Maple
    Fingerboard: Rosewood (9.5” Radius/241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.625” (41 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Standard
    Bridge: Standard Vintage Style
    Pickguard: 3-Ply White Pearloid
    Pickups: Standard Precision Bass Split Single-Coil (Mid)
    Pickup Switching: N/A
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Colors: (521) Natural,
    (Polyester Finish)
    Strings: Super Bass 7250ML, NPS, p/n 073-7250-005.
    Gauges: .045, .065, .080, .100.
    Unique Features: "New" Knurled Chrome P Bass® Knobs
    Source: Mexico
    Accessories: None
    U.S. MSRP: $641.99
    COMMENTS: Limited Run of 250 Units for Guitar Center
    WRENCH SIZES: Truss Rod 3/16" p/n 0038467000,
    Saddle Height 1/16" p/n 0021109000
    Specs: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Pre-Road Blues likes this.
  15. goldenglory18

goldenglory18 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Amateur. Take my advice for its resale value.
    I would have paid double for that.

Those FSR P's are absolute gems in the MIM lineup. I had one exactly like the one you posted that played backup to my trusty MIA P for years. Both those bases, when recorded, sounded phenomenal.....

Great find!!!

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Nice bass, and I would actually equate lighter to mean more expensive in bass terms.

My ABZ weighs nothing, and my LB76 is maybe 9.5 lbs.... I heart swamp ash.

17. For some reason, my perception has always been that the lighter a Fender is, the more cheaply made it is. This has never been based on any fact but more of just the feel...probably because every MIA I've picked up had some weight to it. But hearing what you and others are telling me makes me realize that it is just a perception and ultimately I have to go by how it sounds.

18. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    '09s came with the 60s logo on the headstock or was that neck different from the NA SE body?

19. Thanks for posting that info. I just picked up an identical '06 model off ebay for $395. Didn't know what the quality was on these but wanted that awesome 2-piece ash body anyway. Sounds like the rest of it might be good too. Haven't seen it yet. Yours sure looks great!

20. PawleeP

PawleeP

Oct 8, 2012
    do these come with ceramic magnet pickups?
    found black one for pretty reasonable price..