1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD........... MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rman12321, Mar 7, 2013.

1. This is the first fender jazz I've ever owned, have been playing P's for sooooo long. I have got to say, from all the precisions i've owned from squier to american standard 4 and 5 strings, this MIM jazz smokes them all in terms of playability and build quality. I cannot find a single flaw on it! Sounds phenomenal also.
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/img0073xc.jpg/

Also, as a first time jazz owner, I have a few questions. Is the neck pickup supposed to be lower on the E and A string side? or is it supposed to be equal height on both sides. Also does it matter if the pickups from top to bottom, not side to side are not perfectly level either? Like if the pickups are slightly on an incline when viewed from the side of the bass

2. Love it! Maple boards with LPB bodies is where it's at!

As for pickup height, balance out the sound for you. Try to match the output & raise/lower as needed.

3. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    Nice!

I had an MIM Jazz for decades and eventually gave it to Good Will when the electronics started to need some work. I miss it now.

4. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    sweet it B even sweeter with a black pick guard.rock that mother.

5. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Nice!

I keep pickups even across the strings - your preference though.

6. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

That is a looker! Love LPB. Congrats.

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    They tend to be a bit farer from strings in the low register (E, A) for the reason that they're supposed to vibrate more than D and G; they tend to be farer from strings at the neck/closer to strings at the bridge for the reason that they're supposed to vibrate more at neck's side than at bridge's; they tend to appear slightly angled toward the neck to stay parallel to strings "when viewed from the side of the bass" as you said:)

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Ditto wallace320.

And the bass is a beauty.

If you don't mind my asking, what sort of cabinet is that in the photo with the bass?

9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    It's great that they are selling the mim in lpb. What an awesome color.
    Its to bad they don't do some in sonic blue, pink, or surf green. Those would be big sellers.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

^^^^

11. that is a 1980 peavey 2x8 1x12 i believe, my teacher gave that to me, not quite sure what model it is

12. Cyborg

Cyborg

Jul 7, 2007
    Lowcountry, SC
    LPB is always beautiful on a Fender! Congrats!

13. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats. The MIMs are fine instruments — I’ve got three of ‘em.

14. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Wow, nice score! I had no idea the MIM's were available with maple fingerboards. Of course, the lefties (which I play) aren't. Same with the blue. But I'm glad SOMEONE gets to enjoy those options.