1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: MIM P Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Scored a sweet 2006 mim precision bass off Craigslist for $280 today, with a pretty nice HSC! Really excited about this. After months of tone searching, I finally figured a classic p bass is what I want to add and in the mix, so when this popped up locally I got pretty excited about it. This thing is clean, hardly a bump or ding on it. One or two scuffs in the paint, that’s about it. Even has new strings on it. I kind of feel bad for even trying to talk the guy down from the $300 they asked, but I can’t resist a good chance to haggle...and it saved me $20. I’ve never had a “real” Fender bass (plenty of fantastic Squiers though) so it is kinda something of a landmark NBD. I’m not sure if I’ll keep it stock or try out a set of the Geezer EMG’s, but I’m gonna have some fun with this bass. 5DAF605B-8050-473C-8047-01651445A046. 27604CD2-CE36-4EDD-B2EF-1433810279AC.

2. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Congrats, I have a black MIM Standard, too. It’s merely my favorite bass in the world :)

Not saying it’s perfect - it’s a little heavy (though nothing crazy), and the stock pickup lacks some detail, but overall I just like it. I suggest keeping yours as is for a good while - get to know a basic P for what it is.

Oh yeah, good job on getting the case too, especially at that price! I’ve always kinda regretted that I only have a gig bag for mine, but not quite enough to actually pony up for a separate hardcase

:thumbsup:

3. Nice!

Go with the Geezers, they are fantastic.

Oh, and tort that guard :D

4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats! Love the MIMs – I own three of 'em.

5. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Very nice. Congrats. Stock pickups on the MIM basses are pretty good but a pu change made a big difference in terms of punch and output on mine (I had SD Quarterpound pickups).
    I will go against the overwhelming tort supporters on this TB site and say if you decide to change the pickguard, consider the black pearl. :) Enjoy!

PennyroyalWe and GrapeBass like this.
  6. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    I agree with @Maxdusty, the p/ups on MIM or okay (basic ceramic) so upgrading is a great option, as is to upgrade the tone 'cap' (IMHO). IME with my MIM Jazz Bass, swapping in Custom Shop p/ups made it so much sweeter.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  7. saabfender

saabfender

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I also have three. How did that... oh, yeah: TB.

These are very good basses and you can mod them any old which way. May I suggest giving the stock pickups a chance? They're what's in my #1 and suit the bass perfectly. I have some SD QPs in another (and DM Split P in the other). Man, those two P-Basses could not be more different. One's all thump and meat, the other (w/QP) is lively, zingy, takes distortion well and blends great with my over-gained rhythm guitarist.

As big a cliche as tort is, the 3-ply white guard is getting close. Go nuts.

Spidey2112, PennyroyalWe and dmt like this.
  8. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Very cool. My first bass ever was a MIM standard jazz in the same config: black w/ rosewood fretboard. Have fun!

PennyroyalWe and dmt like this.
  9. Thanks, everyone! I will he keeping it stock, at least for a few months anyway. I like the 3 ply black pickguard, it’s aged nicely to a light champagne color, but if I’m going to change it to anything it’s going to be either 3 play black...or gold anodized aluminum. The real question is “do I care enough to shell out almost $40 for a pg?”. Either way, no tort for this baby.

saabfender likes this.
  10. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ You are treading on some shaky ground, denouncing tort like that on this forum. Put on a tort guard for the NBD picture, then return it to the store. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run.

Willicious, MrLenny1 and PennyroyalWe like this.
  11. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Congrats! I love a good deal. I scored a used MIM Fender P a couple years ago for $180 and a used MIM Fender J last year for $250. Both are ok compared to my American counterparts. But, both really nice considering what I paid.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  12. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    280 bucks for that is a steal. I've owned a 04 MIM P for just over a year and it's fast becoming my number 1. The stock pups on mine are nice, but I'm itching to put some GZR's in it.....

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    no kidding, I've had posts that had likes previously "unliked" because I inadvertently spoke ill of tort pickguards. Tort is a religion followed by some here, best not to offend them.
    OP- I've bought the $9 pickguards you often see on ebay or Amazon and most of them fit perfectly so no need to pay $40 for one.

PennyroyalWe and Crusher47 like this.
  14. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Good price! I got a 2007 new for $500 (in '08), so that's a great price, especially with HSC.

I've put Duncan QP, Gotoh bridge, and a bone nut on my bass. All quality upgrades, but it's not like it was in dire need of upgrading from stock. I'd go either black PG or gold, like you were saying. Ain't nobody got time for another tort-guarded P

Happy playing!

Zoobiedood and PennyroyalWe like this.
  15. IPA

IPA Supporting Member

May 5, 2010
    No way hombre, that bad boy is screaming for a b/w/b

16. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tort, schmort. :spit:

BWB or mirror.

Nice score!

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  17. Johnny21

Johnny21

Mar 19, 2018
    NJ
    Nice grab for under $300!

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  18. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    Steai of the week. Congrats!

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  19. Congrats, that is a great price! I paid more for mine w/o a case!

biguglyman and PennyroyalWe like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Good score!