1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD - MIM Standard Jaguar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassmingo, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    So I've been wanting a MIM Jaguar in OLY for a few months now, but they've been discontinued for about a year. Due to CITES with Rosewood I was limiting my (half-assed) searches to the EU, but none were popping up. I checked a local store's inventory and lo and behold, they've had one for about a year. This store is tucked out of the way and not one I'd be checking on too often. So I cut a deal (€700 down from €799) and put a holding deposit down. Well, yesterday I picked it up.

This is the first new instrument I've bought in close to 20 years, having wheeled and dealed in used gear for a long time. I must say that I'm impressed with the build quality. I love the fact the back of the neck is satin, as I've been moving away from sticky glosses for the past while. After a quick setup, I've got it close to where I want it. It's a little raspy in places but I'm sure with a bit of tweaking that will pass.

Sound wise it falls somewhere between my stock 2004 MIM P and my Parts Jazz (with 75RI pickups). It certainly sounds warmer and less aggressive than my P. I'm not blown away when the Jazz pickup is soloed, but the P soloed, both on full, or the jazz backed off a little is to my liking. This is all just going straight into my DAW and back on headphones mind, as I'll be trying it in rehearsal later this week.

The only slight concern I have is the G saddle is pulling down a bit (as in to the floor in playing position) but I'm considering swapping the stock bridge on my P to a high mass, so I may do it here too. I'm also itching to try GZR's on my P so I may put a set in this too.

Another touch I really like is the headstock. It just has "Fender" and "Jaguar Bass" on it. Very minimal and elegant.

All in all, I'm happy. I figured I'd be doing some modding, so I'm not disappointed. I'll give it a honeymoon first though.

Now a couple of pics, including one with my P for comparison.
    IMG_20181210_222306. IMG_20181211_100204.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have always loved the look of white with a black guard. It always screams 1978-1980 (in a good way) to me.

Great looking bass.

3. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    See, I've always been more of a black and maple kinda guy. Never liked white basses, with the exception of White P's with black guards. The guard on my P was swapped out by the previous owner. I think it was from the series when they made it all white including the pickup covers, and I hate that they stick out with the black guard now.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    All I know is both your basses look cool to me. But I like both looks (this and black-n-maple). These are both late 70s Fender basses. Yours capture the vibe of the white one very well to me.
    Fender78PB_OWFL_S889790_15. Fender_Precision-1978-DiMarzio-black-002.

Bassmingo likes this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

if you've 'waited' 20 years for a new ax then you've got to be excited about your acquisition! it looks great. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

Bassmingo likes this.
  6. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    I love Jags, congratulations! :thumbsup:

Bassmingo likes this.