1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Mini Travel bass Thunderbird style.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kohanmike, Oct 13, 2017.

1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I found it a few days ago online listed as a Savannah SBT-700 Lightning 23" scale mini travel bass, but it's built like the Rondo Hadean bass ukes I've been buying. It's obviously designed after the Gibson non-reverse Thunderbird. I added the white knobs and truss rod cover, black Road Toad Pahoehoe strings and made the Thunderlele decal (reversed).

Thunderlele done 1200.

2. kohanmike

Played it yesterday at rehearsal for a gig we're doing on Friday. I really like it. My other solid body bass ukes from Rondo are 24" scale, this 23" is that much more comfortable. Very happy.

3. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Love this one!
    Have you looked to see if the guts look like the Rondo?
    Interesting that you like the "23 rather than the "24.

4. Minirehak 212

Minirehak 212

Mar 7, 2015
    Milwaukee
    If they had a reverse I'd be all over that...

5. kohanmike

Yes, the preamp is exactly the same as the better one in the Rondos. I contacted Kurt at Rondo if his Chinese factory made it and do they have other styles, like a Gibson SG EB-0 (the one I had made in China is crap and put away), he said it did not come from his factory, but I'm sure it did. I'm tempted to buy another one to modify in some way in the future to look like something else, like I do.

I'm finding the 23" more comfortable than my 21 and 24, for me it's "just right" as Goldilocks would say.