1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD Modern Player Telecaster (MPT)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thumper, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I have wanted a Telecaster to mod, but didn't want to carve up a vintage one. I also wanted body contours so the Modern Player T fits the bill nicely. I got my MPT last week and finally played through my rig at practice last night.

I'm VERY impressed with this bass in tone variation, fit, and finish. It came with nice strings (D'addarios, complete with the multi-color ball ends). I'm a P guy, and this bass has as much (or more) tonal variation than my '66 J or either of my P's, almost in the active territory. And the tone knob has a lot of effect on the tone. I was able to get a nice Pbass tone, and also got a nice grind (think White Wedding). The neck PUP solo'd with full tone does have the Mudbucker tone many dislike, a little tone knob clears it up to a useable deep tone. Dialing in some bridge PUP also helps. Straight bridge PUP can be used alone, and is only slightly less bassy. Obviously there are many tones in between which I have yet to discover (I only played it for appx. 45 minutes).

The neck is only slightly deeper than my CS NOS '59 P or Roadworn P. Certainly not as chunky as my '76 P or the Warwick Fortress 4 I had. It's very comfortable and feels like home to me. Picture the neck on a '66 J only wider (definitely more comfortable than the Jazz (again to me)). Fret sprout was minimal.

I tuned to standard tuning, and had been using it at home tuned down 1/2 step. The neck did not move like my Roadworn P did when I changed the tuning. BTW, the neck does have a very mild flaming. It came with low relief (which I like), and 3 of the 4 strings even had acceptable intonation (the G needed a little tweaking).

I have only 2 nits, 1, it is on the heavy side, close to 10 1/4 lbs, and 2, the bridge PUP poles aren't directly under the strings. Due to very nice balance, the weight didn't bother me (again, only 45 minutes), and at this time, I don't plan to take any weight reducing actions. The bridge PUP pole spacing can be helped by using a bridge with multiple saddle slots. In my case this is a non-issue, as I plan to relocate the bridge PUP as close to the neck PUP as possible.

After transporting it to practice in a gig bag, the chrome cover on the tone knob came off. Since I already planned to switch the knobs to indexed knobs (to easier dial in desired tones on the fly), I don't plan to glue it back on, but this issue has already been brought up elsewhere.

All in all, these are very nice basses. I'm very impressed and think they fill a niche for P guys who want a Jazz flavor or to be able to get some massive bottom. Fender clearly has a winner here. This may be the best $600 bass on the planet (I paid $500).

Attached Files:

2. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Just wanted to get this out there for the weekday group.

3. pudgychef

pudgychef Supporting Member In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    congrats!!