NBD!!!! Modulus Quantum 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5string_phunk, May 7, 2012.

1. Just a few minutes ago, Fedex dropped off a long narrow box. Inside was my new to me 2009 Quantum Modulus 5 w/ Nordstrand pickups and electronics!

My first impression as I took it out the case was that it "felt right"

It has a smooth thin neck and looks to be in brand new condition! It sounded great unplugged and I can not wait to plug it in! If it sounds half as good as it looks, I will be in heaven!

Here is a pics that the seller sent me! ...I will add more pics in a few days!

http://s1077.photobucket.com/albums/w474/bclark812008_bass/?action=view&current=photo.jpg

Thanks for everything Bruce, I am definitely a happy camper!

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    MMMmmmmm Chechen! Sweet bass, love the color! I think that once lived near me in the City of Champions, Brockton, MA.

3. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Beautiful w/ the chechen fretboard option. I really miss my ex Q5's. Definitely want another someday.

4. thanks guys! I have wanted a Q5 for several years now and I am glad this one worked out! It basically new in every respect! The grain on the chechen board is intricate and beautiful! The original owner actually sent the bass to Nordstrand and had them install the pickups and pre. The wiring is so clean that it look like it was factory installed!

The quilt on the body is definitely unique and the amber just sets it all off!

...I am also a Phish Phreak, so owning a Q5 is my tribute to Mike who was, is and will always be a HUGE influence on my playing!

5. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    shock.jpg

Beautiful

6. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    Great bass. I'm not a big fan of the pickup knobs though. Do you know what the original pickups were on this bass? I'd be interested to hear the Nordys in a Modulus. I've never seen those pickups in any Modulus.

7. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    Bartolinis + Bart 2 band EQ is usually what's stock on Mod Q5's.

If you want a more aggressive tone, keep the Barts or swap for EMG's but go w/ the Aguilar pre. Totally different animal.

8. I'm not a fan of the knobs either!! I plan on dropping an OBP-3 in it if the Nordy Pre is not my flavor! If/when that happens, I will change them to black to match the other hardware!

I am curious to heard Nordy Pickups. I have not owned a set before. I usually use Barts and EMGs.

9. 200% accurate! Aguilar pre's are fantastic and versitile!! They are my go-to on-board preamps!

10. Quackhead

Quackhead

Jan 17, 2012
    Elk Grove, CA
    I have seen both EMGs and Bartolinis as stock pickups in the past. My Q5 had EMGs. I think Bartolinis are stock now.

11. Tigger Bangdang

Tigger Bangdang Warrior Endorsing Artist

Feb 8, 2011
    Knoxville, TN
    That was my bass, I sold it to Bruce. Man that thing will rattle your teeth out on a big rig. I have never gotten as many complements as I did with that bass!

12. As long as you dont start toting those 2x18's to every gig you should be in good shape. :D The bass looks great..Def. On my hotlist one day ..I too began playing after going to my 1st Phish show.. Somethin about that head bob stuck with me...wish he stuck with SWR..That bass and amp combo was magic to my ears..he's getting it closer but still a different animal these days..

13. Awesome!! thanks for sharing that! It's always good to hear that from a previous owner! Bruce is the man!! He was honest and sent me so many pics from all sorts of angles!

I can promise it is in caring hands! :D

14. [​IMG][/IMG]

Man bClark , that bass looks like candy ;)

15. I am too lazy to drag that kind of rig around. LOL! Maybe if I ever have roadies who move and set everything up, I will consider a massive rig like his! :bassist: ...until then, I think I'll stick with my Hy-drive 4x10!

Phish is an amazing band and I have so many memories attached to them! They are a big part of my musical upbringing! I happened into a ticket to see them in AL this Aug. It'll be my first show since they got back together! I am STOKED!:bassist::bassist::bassist:

16. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Iseewhatyoudid.jpg [/IMG]

ICY_c3bc14_1048992.jpg

But not to get off topic, am I the only one who likes the knobs? I think the bass is stellar the way it is. It's true though, the Aggie pres are amazing. And although I'm not a Phis Phan, +1 on the Mike Gordon shout out.

17. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Long Island
    Oh man and another +1 for the Hydrive. I can't get enough of my 410 and LH1000. I bet the Modulus sings through it! Looks like you've got a great set up all around, IMO at least.

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I think black would look better.

As for the Aguilar preamps, I must stand in the minority. I have owned four Q5s, and the Aguilar was, by far, my least favorite. Too dark and thick for my taste. Why have a Quantum if you don't want that bell-tone clarity that they have?

My most favorite was the bart/bart 2-band 2001 I had. I miss that bass almost every time I play.

19. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Nice bass!

I recieved my first Modulus a few weeks back (Q5 Sweetspot) and I agree about "it feels right".

I have owned dozend of high end basses and my first Modulus is just incredible. I am on the lookout for my 2nd as I type!

20. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    Totally sold on my Q5 with EMG pickups / electronics. I can dial a huge range of tones from it.
    No more GAS for me ATM!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021