1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: Music Man Old Smoothie with roasted and flamed neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dtyndall, May 19, 2017.

1. Hey guys,

I just received my Music Man Old Smoothie bass today. Literally the best looking bass I've ever seen, I couldn't pass it up. Thank you to Andrew Teeple at Sweetwater for hooking me up with this beauty. It was set up just right and sounds perfect; I also bought a Stingray 4 Starry Night last month but never got around to posting about it so I'll attach photos of both basses. With regards to buying two $2000 basses in a month, my girlfriend tells me, "You done son." LOL

Apologies for the sideways and crappy cell phone photos.

E99705_angle_large.
    E99705_body_large.
    IMG_4955.
    IMG_4956.
    IMG_4961.
    IMG_4963.
    IMG_4964.
    IMG_4967.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Much like a new bass, you can always get a new girlfriend. I say just keep buying 'em.

;) :D

That thing looks great, you can never go wrong with EBMM.

P. Aaron, dtyndall and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    That's beautiful! I love the look of their necks...

Just curious, why 5 pole pieces on the pickup? I'm no expert but I haven't seen that before on an EBMM 4.

SpazzTheBassist and dtyndall like this.
  4. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    It's so the string goes between the pole pieces (like on a P or J pickup) instead of over them (like on a standard Stingray), which makes for a smoother attack--hence, Old Smoothie.
    Old Smoothie | Basses | Ernie Ball Music Man

5. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I like everything about that bass.... lovely!

dtyndall likes this.
  6. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    These basses are addictive man. Congrats. I have the flamed neck on my Stingray classic. It feels like the roasted one and is well worth the extra cost compared to the standard satin neck, IMO. Playability is off the charts on these.

I love the look of the roasted neck. Seriously awesome.

Dr. Cheese and dtyndall like this.
  7. kinopah

kinopah Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Looks so great next to that Starry Night (and I bet it's a great complement to it, sonically)! Super slick!!!

dtyndall likes this.
  8. Yeah, the price difference is pretty negligible when you consider how much better it looks. This is only the 10th bass of its kind that Sweetwater has sold so it adds to the exclusivity. I would love to get a Classic one day; there's a black Sterling Classic that I've seen on MF for around $900 that I may have to pick up one day.

Absolutely. They have a night and day difference visually, and the sound is definitely different. The Starry Night has a much chunkier neck, so I prefer the Old Smoothie in that regard. However, the Starry Night has a super smooth raw roasted neck so the hand glides a bit easier. Either way they're both good to go.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  9. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Very nice!

What's that certificate tucked under the strings of the Old Smoothie?

10. It's a card from Sweetwater saying who set the bass up.

11. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Cool, thanks. The Chocolate Burst in combination with the roasted neck looks fantastic!

Got myself an Old Smoothie recently too. Just the standard version though. Another great release from EBMM!

What's the weight on yours?

dtyndall and Dr. Cheese like this.
  12. KillerEddie

KillerEddie Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Georgia
    Nice. I love roasted necks anyway but that sunburst is perfect with it.

dtyndall likes this.
  13. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Lord almighty, you have the two basses of my dreams! Congrats, they are beauties.

dtyndall and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. The Bass Whisperer, Ed Friedland, gave the Old Smoothie a great review. I have an '87 Stingray that I bought new, but its been shelved for the past several years because what Im playing needs a Pbass with flats, not the bright MM tone. Does the pole placement make a big difference over the standard placement?

dtyndall likes this.
  15. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Ooh, nice! Love the '87s. What colour is it? 2-band or 3-band?

16. there's a roasted neck old smoothie in the talkbass classifieds

17. Its a tobacco sunburst, with a two-band eq. Its been an amazing bass. I honestly haven't had to do anything to it since the day I bought it except for a new battery every six months and new strings. Its got the best neck of any bass i own.

liverbird and dtyndall like this.
  18. It weighs exactly 10 lbs. I would consider it relatively heavy compared to my numerous Precisions (probably all between 8-9 pounds), but it isn't too bad for a Stingray. The Starry Night SR4 has to weigh at least another pound, she's a heavy beast.

Totally agreed. I usually love "regular" maple necks but to me, the sunburst clashes with the bright maple neck. With the roasted neck, they match perfectly.

That's awesome; the pole placement makes a pretty big difference. It's a much softer and quieter sound compared to the Starry Night SR4; I had to turn my amp from around 40% to nearly 75%. I watched a EBMM promo video where Sterling Ball is talking about the Old Smoothie sounding similar to a passive bass and I'd have to agree. I also like the smaller, low-profile frets vs. the newer, bigger ones. It's easier to move around on, the neck is not as bulky, and the lack of body contours don't bother me like I thought they would. Not sure it'd be comfortable to play standing up for long periods, but I own these primarily to sit down and play along to tunes.

liverbird likes this.
  19. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    roasted is the way to go in the future I think

20. liverbird

liverbird

Mar 22, 2003
    Sunburst like this one? (It's one of my two '87s, the other one's a Trans Red.)

front%20in%20case_zpsi5pbps1v.
    headstock_zpss9xtqtay.

Let me know if you ever want to part with yours, love the EBMMs from those years!

kinopah likes this.