1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD! Musicman Classic Sabre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 9, 2014.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Fresh in from Sweetwater...

Initial impressions: This thing is gorgeous. The pictures don't do the neck justice. I generally don't like gloss necks, but this one is so smooth that I think I'll get over it. It's a fairly chunky neck (to me), 1.625 width, which I'm used to, but a little flatter and thicker front to back than say my LB-100 which is more rounded and a little slimmer. I guess it's a D more than C. But it's comfortable.

Playability is everything I'd expect from Musicman and from what I remember about 12 years ago when I owned a Sterling. The fret work is perfect. I still need to change the strings (Ernie Ball Medium-Light Nickels I think...meh). It will either get Pressurewounds or Brite Flats. I haven't decided yet.

Tonally, it's probably the fattest sounding bass I've owned. Turning the bass up all the way is TOO much, and the same goes for the treble, so there is a lot of room for tweaking in the controls. It's actually the first active bass I've owned in probably 10 years. So far I'm liking the active controls, though I'm sure when the battery dies I'm going to forget there IS a battery and freak out for a minute lol It's extremely versatile. Generally I find two pickup basses useless to me. I've never been a fan of most bridge pickups since they can be nasally or farty, but as you'd expect from a Musicman, it's a very powerful, thick sounding pickup that growls nicely when you dig in.

...and speaking of growling, I know some people don't like Stingrays or other MM's because they feel like that's all they do. If you watch a lot of videos of Stingrays in particular, they extremely buzzy. This bass can definitely bark at you if you ask it and dig in, but if you restrain yourself you can get a nice warm, round, traditional tone out of it. It's still a bit more ballsy than a traditional passive bass, but it's more versatile than people give them credit for.

Also, it does a fairly good P impression depending on what position you put it in, which is what I was hoping for. Since there are a few different P tones out there, I think you can find everything from a wooly mudbucker type tone, to a airy P tone, to a nice tight punchy P in the first 3 positions. When you engage the mutes that helps it thump nicely. The mutes don't sound the same as wedging some foam under the strings though. They don't mute that aggressively, but they're more than useful for going old school. I actually think I may throw flats on it. I originally wanted a second bass to have rounds on it because I wanted that growly aggressiveness, but I really don't think I need rounds on this bass to achieve that.

The only nitpick I have (because every bass I've ever owned has to have one), is that there is a hairline neck pocket crack. Maybe a 1/4" long, and it's hard to find. It doesn't bug me since it's extremely common and it's in the finish only. But it wouldn't be my bass if I didn't find SOMETHING to bitch about ;-)

This will be a Musicman week for me. I have a Stingray HH fretless on the big brown truck due to me tomorrow thanks to a fellow TB'er. My credit card is melting...

Oh and I actually got a free Ernie Ball Power Peg Pro with it. Sweetwater is throwing them in with any U.S. Musicman bass for a limited time. Neat...off to dig in the box and find my candy...

B057387-angle-large. B057387-backbody-large. B057387-back-large. B057387-detail3-large. B057387-detail4-large. B057387-front-large.

anavar, Tbone76 and tangentmusic like this.
  2. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I'm very jealous. :)

fourstringdrums likes this.
  3. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    A beautiful Music Man turns out to be a great bass? I am shocked. :cool:

I really like that bass. The Sabre's odd lack of symmetry is refreshing.

Tbone76 and fourstringdrums like this.
  4. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Wow! That is beautiful! Love the trans White with the tort guard!

Congrats and Enjoy!

5. Sooodoes that make new Musicman, G&L and Reverend basses for you in the recent past?

Well Done!

That is a VERY nice bass for sure! Nice flaming too. Not all the classic instruments have great flaming/birds eye - so that is a great score!

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Congrats sir. Ever since I stared down my first Stingray Classic neck I have felt that these newer MM necks have something very special. There is not a better crafted neck out there IMHO. That is one stunning bass.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, the G&L, the Reverend (though I sold it this week), this Musicman, the OTHER new (used) Musicman coming tomorrow AND my Carvin PB4 which I just found out was completed 3 weeks early. Phew :)

Actually the G&L is for sale too. I just put it up.

8. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    The see-through finish is very nice.
    Seems a tad on the pinkish side.
    Me like.
    Congrats man..

9. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yeah I guess it does have a kind of pinkish hue to it.

Now where did I leave my purse...

10. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    It's not that pink!

11. Mikeee71

Mikeee71 Supporting Member

Sep 6, 2013
    Sexy!

12. dieselman

dieselman Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Battle Ground, Wa.
    G.O.F. #123 T Bird Club #692
    Purchased a natural finish Sabre with the maple neck in April from Sweetwater. Set up was perfect. Really love the neck on it. Plays smooth.

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Yup, out of the box it was damn near perfect. I lowered the E a tad and raised the A ever so slightly, but other than that it was dead on including relief and intonation. Hell it was practically in tune.

I'm actually thinking of starting a Sabre Club. I don't think one exists.

14. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    love everything about the musicman basses except for the tuning pegs.

i bet the finish looks 100x better in person. awesome bass dude!

15. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Do you just not like the placement? They threw me off at first but I got used to it.

16. el_cody_loco

el_cody_loco

Feb 13, 2013
    I dunno, I just can't get into that vintage blonde finish... If you're gonna go transparent, go all the way. Those semi transparent finishes are such a tease to my eyes haha

17. anavar

anavar

Oct 10, 2013
    Australia
    my bass tone can beat up your dad's bass tone.
    i actually totally dig the placement. Its just that the clove leaf style ones bother me so much, i know it shouldnt its just something that bugs me to no end.

if i could get one with schaller, grover, sperzel style machine heads (they dont even need to be branded) i would go buy one in a heartbeat. Stingray tone is just perfect.

18. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Well they had a sunburst/rosewood with a black guard that I didn't really care for and an natural/maple which is nice but maple on natural is just too "yellow" for me.

19. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts