1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Musicman Sub 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaLoCo, Oct 14, 2013.

1. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    So, I got this today. It has been sitting in a retail outlet for a few years, and judging by the setup when I got it I am not surprised. An hour on my workbench brought out it's charm though.

It has an active 2 band eq and sounds amazing. I am still slowly dialling in the nut, but the neck adjusted perfectly. The greatest part, only about $280 with a proper gigbag.:hyper:

Attached Files:

2. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    These are great sleeper basses. USA assembled with some foreign made components.
    Congrats and that is a great deal as well!

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Great deal! Why can I never find a deal like that in my area?

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Congrats on scoring a smokin' deal on a great bass... I also have one of those, and can tell you that it's basically an 'ugly duckling" Stingray Classic 5, minus bridge mutes, string-thru option, and overall pretty looks... You've got the same pickup, preamp, sound, playability, and slab body as the Classic - for a fraction of the cost... I paid $500 here in the USA for mine, and still feel I got more than my money's worth... Welcome to the SUB Club,

- georgetrings

5. sounds like somebody didn't know what they had. congratulations.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    They were made right along side of the other Music Man basses of their time in SLO, Cali - and to my knowledge, are ALL USA - just the tuners and bridge don't have the MM markings...

- georgestrings

7. CBNJ

CBNJ Sorry brother.

Feb 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Same..

8. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    If you found it in the shop you probably would have walked away, the setup was that bad:rollno:

I want to look at those string mutes as an add-on, I use a palm mute technique now, but I am not constant enough to make all strings sound the same. I only play muted notes for about 5 % of my playing.

Or a shop did not know how to setup an instrument.:ninja:

All true:bassist:

I also own a Warwick Corvette $$, I am fond of humbuckers:D This sounds far more defined in tone, even the the B-string has less of the raw power of the Warwick hummies, but yet it has a tonal strength that I have craved for a long time. My homebuilt also has a Wilkinson HH config on an active pre-amp, but this thing is in a different tone league. A couple of twists on the treble and bass, and a slight adjustment in playing position and the tone I have wanted is there.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I would have brought it to my excellent tech, Kohlman Bassworks! He can repair even the worst of basses!

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    You'll have to change the whole bridge to do that, and I'm not even sure EBMM will sell you one of those bridges... If you absolutely want muting, *I* would use a piece of foam under the strings at the bridge - a little experimentation will produce the results you're looking for...

- georgestrings

11. DaLoCo

DaLoCo

Jun 16, 2010
    South Africa
    I was thinking along those lines as well...a piece of foam or felt...