1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: My First ~2k Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderbroom, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I'm a lurker here and used to be a mod at HC up until about a year ago. My bass that got the most gigging time was a Fullerton that I got on clearance for $34 shipped. I attempted a color-changing paint job on it but botched it. My daughter and I went to Walmart in search of duct tape. I covered it in four colors of duct tape and gigged it like crazy. While I have quite a few sub $500 basses and one G&L L-2000, the purchase below from Bass Central was my first heavy-duty purchase. I got it last Wednesday and gigged it Saturday night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From our gig last night:
    [​IMG]

2. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    hows it sound?

3. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I think it sounds great. My lead guitarist, the guy in the pic, was like "holy ####" when we kicked into our first song.

4. I love how everyone's looking in totally different directions...:D

Z

5. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    Beautiful bass!

Right now the Bongo is the only instrument that EBMM offers that I like. How's the neck on this thing?

Reason I ask is if it's similar to the Stingray5's neck, which I personally didn't care for one bit when I tried one.

6. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    There's another guitarist and a keyboardist that aren't in the picture!
    :D

7. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I've never played a Stingray5 that I can recall. Compared to my G&L Tribute L-2500, the neck is very thin/flat; the neck on the Tribby is like a baseball bat comparatively speaking. While I like my Tribby too, the necks are very different.

8. Man, that green is SPECTACULAR! I've always thought Bongo's look unique and cool. Can you be a little more specific on the sound? I'm interested specifically in that front pickup. :)

Congrats on the awesome bass!

5sg.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool bass! Probably the color and pickup config I'd pick for a Bongo myself!

Enjoy it ...but it ain't nearly as cool as the duct tape bass!!!!

10. JDJen

JDJen

Mar 18, 2010
    Shade Shifting finish..... Good Call!

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That IS an awesome finish. Love how it looks orange in the gig photo, green in the others. Sweet!

12. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey Thunderbroom. I joined HC right before they switched to 2.0...man was that a bust.

Great bass you have there, first time I've seen the shape shifting finish...really cool. Those neo pickups and basswood body make for an interesting combo. Add the pre, and it's a fantastic sounding bass. It's a tone shifter in addition to the finish :D

13. Thunderbroom

Thunderbroom

May 7, 2002
    Illinois
    I've never been good at describing bass tones. My recommendation is to try one out some time. I tried a 5HH and really liked it; however, when it came time to buy the only 5HH that BC had left had a chipped headstock. They cut me a deal on this one. I actually like it better. The single coil seems to dial back the tone some, which I'm fine with. The 4-band eq is where it's at for me.

14. Thanks for the info! I've got a Stingray 5 HH and was just curious if that front pickup had an affect.

I wish I could try a Bongo with that pickup configuration, but I'm continually stumped that it's as hard as it is to find anything other than entry level (ish) basses in Denver. The best I see at my 2 local Guitar Centers is a Stingray now and then, don't remember seeing any Bongos for quite a while.

GuitarX was awesome... Roscoe, Modulus, MTD USA, etc. But they closed up shop a couple years ago. :meh: I miss them. *sniff*

5sg.

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Nice! Love the color change paint.