1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: My first 5-string bass (CanCon)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GCPENG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    I saw this Godin Shifter 5 Classic earlier this week in a guitar store that carries different brands than the normal Fender/Gibson models. I have been looking casually at getting a five-string bass for a while, and I gave it a try. The neck feels comfortable, as does the string spacing. I went back today and tried it again. It still feels good.

Rosewood board and beautiful black burst body.

And hand-crafted in Canada!

The proprieter (I believe the owner), asked me what it would take for the bass to go home with me. Sale price was $795 (CAD), down from $895 regular price, which is what the other retailers have them listed for. I told him that it would be great if it was MORE on sale. "Name a price," he says. I replied that I'd take it home for $700.

Deal.

The only hiccup was that the tag said that it included a Godin bag, and he couldn't find one. We eventually settled on a different bag (not as nice as the Godin), and a set of strings.

Too bad that I am pretty much in work mode until Sunday.

01b5cf5ec9d210941cc76dccb57da308f1466d7d5d.jpg 017bcd5150d04db3201e830eeb7c26310ceba51b3e.jpg 0129fdb5afbe50bfcf6716d74be9c927411057c404.jpg 019646884934d14cb959ed6f4df349c1525c540b21.jpg

GoLeafsGo and Mark76 like this.
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I have always wanted to check out the entire shifter series, but finding them in a store near me has proven difficult. Nice bass!

GCPENG likes this.
  3. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    Think you are going to be very pleased. I have the 4 string version, and cannot say enough good things about it. By the way....Guitar Boutique?

4. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I'm not as familiar with the Godin line as I'd like to be (rarities in these parts). I've experience the A series - which were really nice - but not the Shifter.
    It looks really, really nice. Different, but classic.
    I personally don't do fivers, but congratulations. Looks like a winner.
    Sound clips at some point would be cool.

5. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, funny how it's easy to figure out that people are talking about that store from descriptions like that.

GoLeafsGo likes this.
  6. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right!

Oct 25, 2013
    Ajax Ontario
    Yeah, really great people in that store, and great selection of quality gear. The only problem is that it is way to close to my house.....

7. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    So im recently interested in the shifter 5 as a possible replacement for my mim jazz v.. im curious how is the neck on the shifter, is it a similar wide, flat profile as the fender? Also, how do you like the pickups? Ive searched for sound clips of the shifter 5 but cant find any

8. GCPENG

GCPENG

Mar 7, 2017
    Ontario, Canada
    It’s been a while since I tried a Jazz V. My recollection is that they are similar. The shifter is wide and flat, but maybe not as wide as the Jazz. But I’m pushing my memory a bit.

Strung_Low likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021