1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD My first 5er! Got questions!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GregT, May 7, 2015.

1. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    I just traded a Martin HD-28 for a brand new 2014 American Standard Jazz V. Never had a five string, so I am pretty excited. It plays great and sounds great. Not too heavy. The neck is very comfortable. I can now do a walking E run without using open E! I do have some questions and I might have more later.

I have always run TI Flats on my basses. How are they on a 5-string? I know they make them and they are the string I usually like on any 4-string. For now they are the only strings I am considering, but I want some feedback if possible from people who use them on a V.

I can't seem to find any information on adjusting specifically 5-string pickups. On a 4-string, you adjust the measurement on the E and G. If I use the B and G, the E string will be a lot farther away than with a 4-string due to the radius on the fretboard. Does anyone who plays an American Standard V have any measurements that I can use as a good starting reference? Or any suggestions?

As blasphemous as it is here on TB, I will be replacing the pickguard with a white one. Every guitar and bass I have has a white pickguard. I like the look and it isn't what you see as often. I will get straplocks and a Neotech strap.

I admit that this is going to take some getting used to, but I am really wanting to give it a go. I will not get rid of my two 4-string Precisions. I will still use them a lot. I didn't want a 5-string P. I thought that if I was going to get a V, I wanted it to be something different.
    DSCN1117 (2).JPG

2. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    A little update: I never realized why they said a Jazz Bass growls. I sure do now. For the last half hour it's been growling away. I am used to a P's punch so this sure feels different. I am taking it for its first outing tonight at a local jam.

If for some reason, it just doesn't work out for me, I suppose I could always put a Fender American Standard P V pickup in the neck position. I've read enough to know it can be done, but it is close to the edge of the pickguard. Don't really want to do that, but I don't mind routing under the pickguard if necessary; I wouldn't do it to a vintage instrument or anything. If this ends up being my number one bass, I want it to do all I need it to do.

I will know here in a couple hours how I feel about it. I do realize I have to give it time.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  3. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Or you can trade it straight up for an American P V...instead of doing all that routing and such...

Dr. Cheese and GregT like this.
  4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Turn down or off the bridge pick up. Roll off the tone too.
    Adjust the pick ups with your ears and forget the numbers

jim nolte and GregT like this.
  5. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    It was great at the jam tonight. The sound is very smooth compared to my Precisions. It will take a little while to get used to it. I tried a lot of different combinations of the knobs and I really liked it. I don't think I'll change anything. Not even the pickguard (for now). still wonder about the TI Flats though.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  6. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    i played one of these for quite a while. it was one of my cousin's. he had the stock pickups replaced with n3 noiseless. i loved it! i wanted to buy it from him, but he knew he had a gem, and would not give it up. i'd say that the flat wounds would make this bass a great instrument. i had ernie ball superslinky strings (round wounds) on the one i used, and loved them.

GregT likes this.
  7. gabrielvv7

gabrielvv7

Mar 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    one of the features i loved about that bass was the sound. i could really make that bass very "throaty" or very "growly". it could really rattle the place.

GregT likes this.
  8. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

white pg on white bass looks aweful, don't do it !

HNBD

GregT likes this.
  9. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Good trade.

I prefer the tort on white.

GregT likes this.
  10. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    As I was tearing down, one of the guitarist told me he liked the way it looked with the pickguard. I didn't even ask him what he thought. I think it would look wrong with a white pickguard and black pickups. On a Strat the pickups are aged white and it looks okay with white on white. Think I will leave this as is.

11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The guitarist was probably complimenting you on your tone, tort does sound better.

12. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Did you do a search?

13. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    Yes, and I found all kinds of information on the Thomastik Flats for 5 string basses.:D

14. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    I had Ti flats on my 5ver for a while , but was using the High C ...

I've had white pearloid on white ... pic

Fender setup specs are on their site .... and use your eyes/ears ... Sadow.

15. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Agreed! I was going to answer all your Fender V questions (I've got one) until you said you were getting a white pickguard! Feh! Mine is tort, natch.

GregT likes this.
  16. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Bass should be great. Being a 2014, B string should be great. B on mine (2002) needed some effort to get it sounding like it should. I wish I could tell you about TI flats. Some like them and some don't. I always wanted to try them but never have because of the higher price (and the fact I was always happy with other standard strings). So if you try them be sure to post a review of your thoughts here!

Odd as it may seem and contrary to those here who put Jazz necks on their P-basses, a 5 string P-bass neck is my all-time favorite neck profile. Yes, big, wide and flat but for me just super comfy and feels right!

GregT likes this.
  17. raventepes

raventepes

Jan 7, 2012
    Reno, NV
    Jazzes are my Fender's of choice. I've been considering picking up a 5'er version.

I don't normally use TI's, but they should work well. I normally like GHS Pressure Wound's, which sound great as well.

GregT likes this.
  18. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    TI flats on 5 = bliss. Great B string. I had them for a long time on a Fender P/J Deluxe 5. (I recently removed them because I'm selling that bass and plan to put the TIs on my new Sadowsky 5).

Edit - I also have TI flats on a 4 strings Jazz, and I love them on it too.

GregT likes this.
  19. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Leave the Jazz stock, as it has more versatility than a P ever will. You can come close to a P, yes, by what others have said (favoring the blend knob towards the neck p'up). Your J has much more definition than your P, but if you reeeeaaallly want the P/J Fender thang, search for a used American Deluxe 5 P. They stopped making them (I think) in '05, and besides the Roscoe Beck model, it was, imo, the best bass Fender's ever made...retarded that both have been discontinued.

GregT, Crooked_Buddha and Burwabit like this.
  20. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Haha I may know where you can find one (my sig). Yes, they're rare and very very good basses.

GregT likes this.