NBD: My first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CodyMonster, Jul 13, 2020.

1. CodyMonster

CodyMonster

Jun 15, 2020
    Got my first bass today. I've been scouring the forums and online retailers like a total noob for a few weeks now, min-maxing and trying to stay on budget.

I pulled the trigger on an LTD B204SM Fretless last week, got a good deal on a new one that I could not pass up and it was on top of my list. Found a used Hartke combo and ordered some stuff online. Shweet jesus I forgot all about the odds-and-ends I need to get the thing playing :)

Picked up the amp today and also got some boxes in the mail.

bass01.jpg

bass03.jpg

bass04.jpg

bass05.jpg

Now to start learning how to use the damned thing. Tried something today but I only managed to scare the local wildlife away.

2. Congratulations and welcome to the low end! You’re jumping in the deep end right away with a fretless too. If I was wearing a hat, I would tip it toward you. I think I waited 2 years before I got the courage to give it a shot. Your bass has a very nice top.

3. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Congrats! Love their spalted maple. They do a great job.

Bassdirty and CodyMonster like this.
  4. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Why on Earth would you want to play bass? Nevermind. We know the answer. What we don't know is why everyone does not want to play bass.

Welcome!

5. CodyMonster

CodyMonster

Jun 15, 2020
    Carrots!!!!

Thanks!!! Loving the maple as well, I think I got lucky on the shapes in the wood. And yeah, fretless, I am starting at zero, thought I might as well go full monty even if it takes a bit longer to get the fingerings right. Hopefully I don't regret the decision.

GregC, Fat Freddy, M0ses and 2 others like this.
  6. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    That's a very attractive bass. It looks like it costs way more than any of my basses. You are doing fine so far. We will just sit here with the popcorn and watch.

I am trying to learn fretless. Yes, it makes sense to just start there.

CodyMonster likes this.
  7. CodyMonster

CodyMonster

Jun 15, 2020
    I paid $425 for the bass, amp was $225 second hand. Thought about going for a $100-150 starter combo amp but everything that was available new/used over here would have me buying something else next year. This looks like it will be more than anything I will be needing, no plans for doing gigs, just noodling at home.

My inspiration for going fretless is this:

Hopefully in 20-30 years I can figure it out and attempt to repeat it :)

friend33, BigDanT, GregC and 20 others like this.
  8. rzamites

rzamites Total Bass Hack

Jun 27, 2020
    Michigan
    Congrats on the new bass - it's absolutely gorgeous! Enjoy playing and learning to tear it up on a fretless :)

9. Great choice. I started with Fretless bass as well after a treble guitar background. I now have 4 Fretless and 14 fretted along with my treble guitars but love playing Fretless. Big ESP/LTD fan too.

ThinCrappyTone and CodyMonster like this.
  10. CodyMonster

CodyMonster

Jun 15, 2020
    :wideyed: 18 basses? :jawdrop:

With so many beautiful instruments out there, I can see why people keep collecting them as time goes by.

TolerancEJ and TN WOODMAN like this.
  11. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    I played fretted bass for 6 months and almost quit... got a good fretless and played only that for the next 6 years. :D

Play yours well and often. :)

MonetBass, TN WOODMAN and CodyMonster like this.
  12. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Haha, what a great first bass! Gorgeous. Congrats.
    And I wouldn't worry about the wildlife. As long as the kid next door is learning clarinet you can't do any harm.

13. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Nice choice of combo. Enjoy!

CodyMonster likes this.
  14. Looks like you are off to a great start bass and equipment wise. That's a lot better than I started bass wise. Though i had a USA Tesecaster before I started playing bass.

CodyMonster and Spidey2112 like this.
  15. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1

You're starting off with way nicer gig than me and probably 90% of the folks on this board... nothing wrong with that at all!

Learn the 12-bar blues (the I-IV-V progression... plenty of YouTube videos and websites to assist you there) and you'll be on your way.

Go thump it!

Outtaseezun and CodyMonster like this.
  16. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    That's a very nice looking one, congrats!

CodyMonster likes this.
  17. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    Good stuff. It's not really a big deal to start on fretless. Plenty of us started on Double Bass, nothing to be scared of, lots of stringed instruments don't have frets.

18. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Congratulations, you done good! You went with very high value per dollar choices that should serve you well. Also, I seriously respect your source of inspiration. Remco is a true innovator and a MONSTER of a player! If I could choose any bassist in the world to study with, he would be a top 3 contender. :thumbsup:

CodyMonster likes this.
  19. Good Lord! I wish I started with half of that! Very much so Congrats on your new rig! And welcome to a lifelong journey that will take you on quite the adventure ;)

Also, youre very quite brave going headfirst and getting a fretless for your first. Im excited to see how you turn out as a player.

:bassist:

CodyMonster likes this.
  20. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Congratulations !

CodyMonster likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021