1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - My first P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matty Koff, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Ok.. ok.. I see what you guys mean.. she sounds beautiful. My sr500, with its tonal diversity, still has it's place, but my favorite, my favorite is now my new P bass.

Fender USA Nitro Satin P Bass.. yep. I bought the Guitar Center exclusive. Was set on an Arctic White MIM Standard P.. couldn't quite afford one at the time. Took a bandmate to pick up some strings and this guy was hanging on the wall on sale. Got a great deal. I like her most with the tone rolled off. I thought the string spacing and thicker neck might throw me off, but, she played like a dream.. jammed a little with my guitarist, can't wait to hear it in the full band mix. I have been indoctrinated into the cult of Fender. I want to lower her action just a little bit.. but otherwise.. I'm in love. bassfamily.jpg bassfamily2.jpg Pbass.jpg pbass2.jpg
    I thought about a different colored pick guard, but after removing the laminate.. white is looking pretty.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  2. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    That's a great bass, congrats! And a black or tort pg looks awesome with that finish, imo:
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    I had to do a neck swap on mine because the original one developed a twist.

Matty Koff likes this.
  3. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    So this was on sale at GC for less than a MIM Standard? Score! The necks on these are great. I picked one up in the classifieds a few months ago. Has a black pickguard which I think looks pretty badass.

4. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    My apologies for the confusion. It was not less than an MIM Standard P. I should have mentioned that I put her on layaway before the store employee could get it out of my hands to let another customer play her. That customer mentioned he was looking at it as it was being carried to the front desk. It was a little over $100 more than a new MIM Standard P. But still a great price for this bass as it's listed for a good deal more on their website.

Tbone76 likes this.
  5. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    Ok.. so I've finally done some research on this thing. "Rebranded American Special" is the general consensus.. and the back of the headstock even says "American Special". That being said.. an American Special is slightly more expensive than this bass was without the sale price, not that I believe price determines the tone and playability, however - I'm still pretty amazed with how amazing this bass feels to play.. how good it sounds both out of my full rig and my 15w fender rumble I keep at home. I lowered the action slightly, which required lowering the angle of the pickups, but this bass is still cutting the mix like nobody's business. I played my first gig with it the other night, and with my amp at about 10 o'clock master volume sounded a bit louder than it needed to be.

This is a quality P-bass. I'm so glad I found her and that I haven't had to do much setup. I haven't even changed strings yet. Still using the Fender brand that comes on them.

If you stop in your local GC and see one hanging on the wall on sale - play that sucker.

It seems it's got a 2013 serial #.

I also have to admit the simplicity of the tone knob vs the complexity of my sr500.. I was always fiddling with the knobs on the ibby.

Anyway.. sorry, I've been playing the heck out of this bass.. she's been real hard to put down. Solid comfortable feel, extremely solid tone. And I just had to mention it.

Tbone76 likes this.
  6. Great score on a great bass. Cannot go wrong with a good Precision. I think the stock guard looks fine.

Matty Koff likes this.
  7. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

Very nice. Nuthin' like a good P. She's a looker too.

Matty Koff likes this.
  8. Ross McLochness

Ross McLochness Living Room Bassist Extraordinaire Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Eden Prairie, MN
    Absolutely!
    Black = John Deacon
    Tort = George Porter

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Tbone76 likes this.
  9. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I saw a youtube vid where someone replaced the pick guard with a black one, and I think they even replaced the bridge, and I was really digging the black, but, there's something about that white I like. My guitarist recommended a really cool idea.. but I might keep that one a secret for now.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021