NBD !! My PJ Build.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StraffordMike, Oct 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    IMG_1152.JPG IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1149.JPG IMG_1148.JPG IMG_1147.JPG IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1146.JPG IMG_1145.JPG Not long ago I figured out, that, ultimately, I wanted a PJ. First, I came around to the whole "passive" thing. Then I discovered why the Precision is the first and all others are mere posers. (Sarcasm!!! Hello!! Stop the hate!)
    Then I realized why stop there?
    In my quest for a PJ I started with an Am Std with the plan to have it routed and subsequent j-p'up installed. (This was before they released the PJ this year and I don't like the "lite" bodies.
    So time marches on, I'm watching Reverb, the TB classifieds, CL, Warmoth and so on, saving my pennies when it strikes me!!
    Hello Squier Affinity PJ!! Hello EmG Geezer pickups!
    Swap out neck from current AM STD, swap out hi-mass bridge. Voila!
    It was cheaper to buy a whole new Affinity series, and mod it than to just acquire a PJ body.
    I really like the color, it's darker than it looked and the EMG's are nasty!
    Side note, the wiring diagram for the pickups was incorrect concerning the input jack. Make sure white goes to tip and black goes to sleeve.

2. KingT

KingT

Feb 3, 2016
    But, but.. it's a Squier :D

Congrats dude, that's a killer bass.

3. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Looks really cool. How's it sound/play?

4. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    So it's a Fender neck with a Squier body?

MMiller28 likes this.
  5. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    Yeah, I know but according to Fender's own literature they're both alder bodies. Sure the fit and finish on my Am Std. is better, but now it's wrapped up, nice and neat not getting scratched or dinged.

6. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I love it. I like how you used the Squier back plate. :D

7. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    Love the pickups! The neck pocket was looser than I would like but my local luthier says no problem. Shimmed it with some screen and it's nice and straight. I've also noticed that the nasty dead spot at my "d" is significantly lessened. First rehearsal tomorrow night.

8. StraffordMike

StraffordMike

Apr 25, 2015
    Not trying to fool anyone!

andruca likes this.
  9. Ramonesfan59

Ramonesfan59

Jul 4, 2016
    I really like that red. Wonderful color.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Rock on! And speaking as a serial tinkerer/modder, I maxi-dig those American Standard bridges too! You just center the the middle holes, tap two new holes and violá! :thumbsup:

DSCF0647_zpsgsqwnpol.jpg
    DSCF0663_zpsanrtejmf.jpg

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Nice looking bass. Here's to hoping it rocks your world.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021