1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: New Lakland In The House

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, May 1, 2010.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It has been about 8 years since I owned my last Lakland, and I've been missing it lately. Anyway, I've been looking at this particular 44-01 for a while now - it's nice and lightweight, sounds great, plays great - matches up well with my vintage Fenders, but with a bit more modern tone. The main thing for me is that the feel is so comfortable that I can switch between my old Fenders and this Lakland without feeling like I need to "adjust". Well, with all the talk about Lakland lately, it kind of pushed this bass to the forefront of my mind....so I went ahead and worked out a deal for it. After putting on a set of Chromes and setting it up to my liking, it is a fantastic bass...it'll get a lot of playing time from me.

And, since "no pics, no bass" applies here at Talkbass....here are a couple pics !

(Oh, BTW - if any of you have an extra tortoiseshell guard you'd like to sell, PM me!)

LAKLAND%20005.

LAKLAND%20007.

2. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    NICE BASS and cool photography!!!

congrats!

3. bamabass

bamabass

May 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    BEAUTIFUL!! Congrats

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Win.

5. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Thanks. The Lakies are one of the few "active" basses I like. They feel classic to me, and I actually like the warmer sound of the Bartolini's over a lot of the more modern active systems. I pretty much leave everything "flat" anyway - or on this bass, use the "EQ Defeat".

I need a new camera - should be buying one this month though. This old cheapie Kodak is getting worn out, but it has served me well.

I must have the most famous fence on Talkbass !

:D

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Oh barts? Mega win.

7. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice grab! It looks great!

8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Yep. Lotta people don;t like them and replace them - I guess they just aren't modern enough sounding for their taste - but that is exactly what I like about them - fat sound, a bit softer top end.

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Thanks.

This will probably have to be my last bass for at least a month.

;)

10. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Anyone who thinks that about their soapbars.... hell I'll trade em for my EMGs!!! :D

I love barts, especially in laklands (and of that, especially the hollowbodies! :D)

11. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Definitely an AMAZING player, but I can't rationalize its aesthetics or electronics over the -02s......

Besides, how could you put down that Guild?!?!?

12. JaySwear

JaySwear

Apr 15, 2010
    Gaithersburg, MD
    looking at how it perfectly supports the body in that little V in the planks, and then the one thats in the perfect spot to support the headstock i swear you BUILT that fence for bass photography. :D awesome bass!

13. jgparm

jgparm

Sep 27, 2007
    Southern Missouri
    It's my favorite TB fence! ;)

14. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Plenty of basses to choose from :D

FAM1.

15. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    My favorites of yours are the Guild and the pinstriped Tele. Man you have a great collection.

16. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You may think you're lucky to have that fence, but I'm pretty sure that fence feels like it is the luckiest fence ever!!

17. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

:D

18. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I was gonna sell or trade the pinstriped Tele a while back but the deal fell through. I'm kinda glad it did. I'm not sure how long it'll reside with me, but it's definitely a cool bass.

:)

19. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh, forgot to mention - this is one of the Korean made Skylines - but I got it new at Bass Emporium. I've been looking at it a while, and I guess people just don't dig the natural finished ash ones - dunno, maybe it's the RW board too. Not sure why it sat there, because it's a great bass.

LAKLAND.

20. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Leave it tortless.

Please.