1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD New Rickenbacker praise thread.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by armybass, Jan 10, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    IMG_9044.JPG IMG_9040.JPG

I have owned several newer Rickenbackers over the past five years and for the most part they have all been near perfect. Some played and sounded better than others and I did have one that suffered from the often referred to quality control issues, but nothing terrible or worse than I have encountered from any other maker. But in the past few weeks I have acquired two 2015 4003s' and they have both been brilliantly made.

I got a slightly used 4003s Mapleglo here on TB last month and the bass was new for all intents and purposes and still has factory strings on it. The setup is spot on, the neck is straight as an arrow and the finish is impeccable. But more importantly, it is a player and sounds fantastic. I have played a few Rics that were kinda "stiff" and no amount of setup really made them sound like the ringing bell of doom that Ric fans are used to.

Then yesterday I got a brand new Ric 4003s Fireglo from Musicians Friend. It was still in the factory sealed box and was shipped to me directly from MF having never been cracked out ot the factory box. Aside from being slighly out of tune the bass was perfect. The gorgeous FG finish is stunning on the new 4003s' in my opinion and once again the setup, tone and playablility were spot on.

I am an unashamed Ric fanboi and have been for a very long time, but I have also been an honest critic when I felt things were not up to par. I know there are legetimate complaints with Ric that exist but I just wanted to give an honest positive report from someone who has acquired two new Rics.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Florida
    Slightly out of tune, you say? I would have returned it immediately.

Seriously, I recently acquired a used 4004L. The overall quality is top-notch. Compares favorably with any of the USA basses I have been privileged to own.

3. woodyng2

woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    That's great,but Both of your testimonies are incomplete....we need PIX!!!:hyper:
    :smug:

Sharknose79, armybass and Zane DeBord like this.
  4. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab

Nov 28, 2016
    I bought a new Ric last year -- a 4003 in FG. It is very well built, easy to play, and I love the sound. Glad to hear your is good as well.

armybass likes this.
  5. MMatFoCBass

MMatFoCBass

Feb 21, 2012
    I'm starving for pics of these beauties.

armybass likes this.
  6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Will post pics momentarily.

7. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    When you get a good one, there's nothing like 'em!

byoung93888 and armybass like this.
  8. I too have a 2015 4003s in fireglo. The bass is incredible! The finish is amazing, and it plays and sounds great! I would really like to see pictures of your new instruments!

byoung93888 and armybass like this.
  9. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Pics added!

MMatFoCBass, byoung93888 and woodyng2 like this.
  10. Ohhhh! Pretty!

armybass likes this.
  11. woodyng2

woodyng2

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    And they look smashing! :bassist: Thanks!
    My last bass purchase was a used,(and slightly abused) 2015 Laredo.
    Overall,it seems to be keeping up the quality level i expect from Rickenbacker.
    (Nice fit,finish,fretwork,etc).
    It's currently undergoing a metamorphosis by Dane,really looking forward to the finished product.
    Here's the way it was when i bought it....
    IMG_0350.JPG

12. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    nice. got my new 4003s in 2016.

willsellout and armybass like this.
  13. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I sing the praises of Rics whenever the opportunity arises -although if I was running their company, I would do some things differently.

But i digress - I've had their instruments for a long time - the bass in my profile pic has been mine for over 38 years and its been fantastic. I have a newer fireglo model that everyone goes gaga over (I'm too lazy to take it out of the closet for a picture).

Take good care of your Ric and it will serve you well.

14. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    NOBODY PLAYS RICS ANYMORE ... ;)

Rimg1142.

Rimg1153.

superdick2112, CapM, woodyng2 and 8 others like this.
  15. I also have a Mapleglo 4003S and a Fireglo 4003S. Just got the Mapleglo a couple of months ago, and it's awesome, as you say. My Fireglo is an '80s model and it wears flats. I've never had a problem with a Rickenbacker.
    Congrats on getting these two fine instruments!

woodyng2, willsellout and armybass like this.
  16. tbz

tbz Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    We can't.

You guys have them all. :)

17. Eckie

Eckie

Jan 14, 2004
    Edinburgh, UK
    For the price one has to pay for a Ric 4003, I'd expect it to be perfectly set up too. But you could say that for anything starting at about quarter of the price?

18. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Mine has been perfect too! Ricks are awesome!

Spidey2112, byoung93888 and Sartori like this.
  19. Try a 4001v63 if you ever get the chance. I too played a bunch of rics before this and man... it has me (and the rest of the band) in awe.

maxschrek, woodyng2, NealBass and 2 others like this.
  20. Lowness

Lowness Banned

Mar 13, 2015
    Healdsburg, CA
    On TB might this be taken seriously.