1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD: New York Bass Works RS524....Jazz bass perfected

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allenhumble, Mar 23, 2017.

1. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    The first time I heard about David Segal and Nybw was about 10 years ago here on talk bass. This guy really knows jazz basses.
    This thing sounds and feels as good as it looks.
    If you have ever played a bass and thought it doesn't get any better than this.....you haven't played one of David's. Unbelievable!
    Alder body
    Roasted Birdseye neck
    Kingwood board
    Nybw pickups
    Pike preamp

If you are considering a boutique instrument you owe it to yourself to inquire. D1C7FB7443884981A950EF5BCD44B745. 20170323_195755.
    Resized_B968393290BC45ABA5233F2217CB1C58. F462C86986DD4D238FD7B6E91BF44BEF. 54D6E67193774439ACEC1CEEEC4F9BDD. 6549DB27F7CB4A80A6B0B34A6C472FFB.

lo-freq, Ken J, WorktheWood and 25 others like this.
  2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Beautiful

allenhumble likes this.
  3. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Thank you. So very happy with how it turned out. The finish on it is flawless.

Garret Graves likes this.
  4. Bassmaticmatt

Bassmaticmatt

Feb 13, 2016
    Dallas
    Amazing

allenhumble likes this.
  5. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Love the neck color and the backside color. For me, I think I'd want the front to look the same of the back on this--- that color is just beautiful.

How are the pups? Can you get a truly fat jazz tone from them?

allenhumble likes this.
  6. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Pups are great. I think he said they are DC blades. Super quite. Fat-n-growly. The pike preamp is nice too. David helped to develop it. The bass currently has the red module installed but I have the blue as well. I may swap it out this weekend to check it out. Sounds identical when engaged until you tweak the tone. The vvt knobs turn soft and smooth. The eq knobs have some resistance making it easy to dial in exactly what you want.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Snaxster likes this.
  7. FingerDub

FingerDub Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Not in love with the body style, but looks well built.

8. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    I have - but only while playing my NYBWs basses.
    Congratulations Allen - your bass turned out great and I'm glad it's as compelling to play as it is too look at!

allenhumble likes this.
  9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Congratulations, Allen. You did it. :) But yes... I forgot about the Pike Amplification preamp. Yours is the only firsthand report of it I read or heard so far. Thanks. Enjoy your fine new bass!

allenhumble likes this.
  10. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Finally got to run it through my rig tonight. I did a rehearsal with a drummer(fantastic)/guitar duo. Truly blown away. My amp/cab set up is a berg/monique combo and sounds great with any bass ive plugged into it, but the tone range this bass has is unreal. The B string is super tight and punchy yet incredibly even with the other strings. The fret work and neck feel comfortable and smooth and play with ease. Looking forward to my church gig on Sunday.

11. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    How was your gig yesterday?

allenhumble likes this.
  12. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    It was great! Bass cut through the mix fantastically. It's a large room and even with iem it can be difficult to get the mix just right. The preamp was easy to dial in what I wanted. I'm pretty impressed with the pike. Still haven't checked out the 2nd module yet. I can't seem to put it down long enough to fool with it. Happy the way it is now:). If I it's in my hands I'm playing it. I cant get over how easy it is to play this bass.

NYBW is most definitely where it's at.

Garret Graves likes this.
  13. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Wow. Pretty cool setup. Yeah I'm not in love with the body shape but I bet that thing is killer. Share more about the pike preamp.

allenhumble likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think I would like a more satin finish on the neck, but that is a very minor quibble!

allenhumble likes this.
  15. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I pulled this from pike amplification website.

The Shapeshifter Red module is a high-performance bass preamp that works well in both vintage and modern instruments. The bass control seems to defy gravity - its 70 Hz fixed frequency center insures it remains tight and punchy even at the limit. The treble control is at 5 kHz for providing a crisp presence boost to fingerstyle playing or adding some zing to your slap tone. The switchable 400/1000 Hz midrange control is perfectly dialed in for shaping the body and attack of your instrument.

It does exactly that. The bass control is really nice. Tight and punchy even when cranked. Not booms at all. I like this preamp better than the John East U-retro Deluxe I have in my fretless and I love that preamp. Still need to test the blue module. Very interesting concept having different modules to shape the preamp.

This is what it says about the blue.

The Shapeshifter Blue module is a versatile all-purpose preamp. It has a bit more of a vintage-inspired sound than the Red module. The bass control is big and round without getting woofy - it's a dynamic control, so the frequency center changes as the amount of boost/cut is increased. The treble control provides a broad high frequency boost that works well with tweeterless cabs, and at 4 kHz it is perfect for accentuating your pick sound. The switchable 400/1000 Hz midrange control is perfectly dialed in for shaping the body and attack of your instrument.

Here is a link to site for more info. Pike Amplification

16. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    The neck is quite nice. Doesn't have a "sticky" feel to it like other basses I've played with gloss necks.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sweet!

allenhumble likes this.
  18. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Allen :)

drool almost sad it's not a onepiece maple neck :crying:
    (all these birds looking at you from the fretboard would have been nice too :D)

the headstockdesign is top!!! :thumbsup: tuners perfectly aligned no stringbend to the left or right!!!

Like you said... the guy knows what he does!

I saw that you played it at your...
    I bet the angels were singing louder for you than usual ;):bassist::bassist:

sorry for comming so late to the party, happy NBD!!!:hyper:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

allenhumble likes this.
  19. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    Good-lookin' bass, man...nice lines!

allenhumble likes this.
  20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Interesting - I'd never heard of "kingwood" or Pike preamps. Neat that you can change the behavior of the pre with a module swap. Enjoy your cool new bass!!!

wes stephenson and allenhumble like this.