1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD... no-name P-style (Yikes!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadSanta1281, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Is it just me or is something wrong here?

Some members have had good luck with these low budget guitars so I thought why not take a chance. Under $60 delivered. What could go wrong?

Hmmm. Returned for a refund. Should have ponied up the extra twenty bucks and got a genuine Ammoon. Live and learn. WP_20190130_10_16_08_Pro. WP_20190130_10_53_46_Pro.

BurnOut, Bass Jones and reddog like this.
  2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    To me $80 isn't "low budget". You definitely get what you pay for here.

3. I'td be cool if you needed to spice up up your act by smashing a bass on stage...

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I am sorry I don't understand. Do you think $80 is a lot to pay for a bass?

96tbird and birminghambass like this.
  5. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I mean that to me, $200 is low budget. $80 isn't even worth it.

6. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Oh Ok I gotcha. I was cornfused for a second

7. You'll likely find similar craftsmanship with a "genuine" Ammoon.

Uncle Hanky, Dub56, RobertUI and 5 others like this.
  8. The box they shipped it in was top quality. So there's that.

9. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    Wow, just like a real Fe***r P bass! ;)

Who pays for return shipping? They should just let you keep the poor thing.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  10. I was genuinely joking. My lesson has been learned with this one. Ammoon spelled backwards starts with "NO".

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. It was on eBay so return shipping was free. Just cost me some packing tape and a drive to the post office.

mikewalker and CatchaCuda like this.
  12. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Where’s the rest of the review?

The crooked tuners are pretty sad but functional. That could almost be considered acceptable for a $60 bass.

How did it play and sound?

13. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    So what's the matter here? Realign the tuners and put the bridge (or a better one) in the correct spot. Voila, problem solved.

chronic_gas and BadSanta1281 like this.
  14. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    The body looks decent! That alone is worth more than $80.00. How was the neck?

It would not really be that big of a deal to reposition the tuners, if everything else was ok. Lets face it, this wasn't exactly a Fender Elite or anything

15. MynameisMe

MynameisMe

Dec 31, 2018
    North Florida
    I had one of these I traded for a Squier strat I didn’t play. The only thing that was different from the original is the guy I got it from replaced the bridge. It plays great! I just gave it to a friend wanting to learn to play bass. The finish and setup he had on it was fine. The neck a little chunky but sounded like a p bass.

BadSanta1281 and CalBuzz51 like this.
  16. crab

crab

Oct 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    I agree. Sub $150 instruments are teaching tools. Learn to fix it. It's so satisfying to do something yourself. Where do you think the price point comes from, just that the company is crazy and you get a windfall? No, thimgs are a little wonky with any of these beauties and you get to make it your own.

My favorite guitar is my SX Tele. Plays better than anything else I have because I MADE it work the way I wanted.

17. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000

OK, I can understand the tuners out of line, but the body pic, ok, what am I missing besides the pickups aren't really in line? Was it not playable?

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  18. Yep, something is wrong. Even Indonesian made Squier P-basses usually have better standards than that bass for comparison. Would return as well if it was me. A good case of "get what you pay for."

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  19. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Squier’s cost more that $60.

20. I'm not saying these things aren't a deal for sixty bucks just for the parts alone. There's tons of them on eBay all the time and I've seen some YouTube videos where people got good ones. Some members here have also posted positive reviews.

I liked the neck, it was very chunky and felt great. The gap on the neck pocket joint was big enough to slide in a credit card or two, though. The finish on the body was good with no visible flaws except a few glue stains under the clear coat.

I wasn't expecting the build quality of a major name brand but I did expect all the parts to be in the right place. There's no doubt that it could have been fixed up with some time and effort. But since returns were free I wasn't stuck with keeping it.