1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD... no-name P-style (Yikes!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadSanta1281, Feb 10, 2019.

1. So the price point comes from the parts being installed crooked?

2. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    The price point doesn't come from parts being installed crooked. It comes from very low quality control standards and cheap materials/manufacturing.

3. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Couldn't agree more. $250-300 is "low budget". Anything less than that is likely a dangerous gamble.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  4. Not really a gamble with free returns. I was never in danger of losing my money.

These things are basically the eBay "kit" guitars but they're already assembled. This one assembled not so well.

wintremute and MynameisMe like this.
  5. bobalu

bobalu Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2004
    above the 49th
    I don't think your bass should cost less than the case (or gig bag) that you keep it in. Just sayin' ......;)

Groove Doctor and BadSanta1281 like this.
  6. I completely agree. Get intimate with your basses people. All your instruments have the opportunity to be personally refined by you its player and owner. You will not be dependent on others. Correct the silly issues, benefit from the bargain prices, play them and move on. Occasionally you may encounter a bass with unresolvable neck bow or some other gross misalignment or structural defect which cannot be corrected etc. These are the ones to reject.

N4860 and BadSanta1281 like this.
  7. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I guess I see your point. Seems like a waste of time and energy to me.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  8. It was but I'm retired with plenty of time on my hands.

If return shipping wasn't free that's exactly what would have happened.

staurosjohn and MoeTown1986 like this.
  9. Okay; I've got seven of these cheap 'n' lites, and the only "flaws" I've encountered are some fret sprout on one and a nut that gave way on another after fifteen months. Both of these were Glarrys, which in my experience are the lightest of a very light lot.

The common denominator among all seven is that the action is a bit higher than what I would like even with the bridge saddles bottomed out, so I have been taking them in turn installing neck shims. Across the spectrum of individual basses you learn things, like the pickup outputs are not the same, the amount of hum/buzz is not the same, the wood grain on the translucent finishes is quite figured, and the necks -- surprisingly -- are not the same.

The bass currently on the bench has a neck/pocket fit so tight I literally had to pound the neck free with my fist to install the shim. I've got a parts Peavey Millenium IV neck that is too wide to seat in the pocket of a Milestone II or a Foundation, yet is a perfect drop-in replacement for the neck of this bass. Who'da thunk?

So even though the initial impression might be that these basses are all the same and all came from the same factory, the truth probably is that these should be looked at as variations on a theme.

BTW, I got a all seven of mine for less than the price of one new Squier, and with free shipping, hex keys for bridge and truss rod adjustment, and a cheapo strap, patch cord, and bag thrown in. My opinion is that I easily got value received for my money. But also, we know that even Fender and Ric let a dog get out of the plant once in awhile, and it is no different here. Sometimes the bad luck is that you get a flawed instrument.

patrickj and BadSanta1281 like this.
  10. Ya I would rather get it in pieces un-assembled than receive it assembled terribly

Bass Man Dan and BadSanta1281 like this.
  11. Or if a set of strings can exceed the value of the bass then...

bobalu and BadSanta1281 like this.
  12. Funny thing is the kits are more expensive than the assembled ones.

staurosjohn and Bass Man Dan like this.
  13. Agreed. I just got a bad one. If I had to pay for return shipping I would have kept it and called it a project. Chances are that a Glarry or Ammoon might be better or another no-name might be properly assembled.

I've read your posts before that you had good luck with these budget basses. I think it's awesome that they can be had so cheaply. I just posted my experience to show that quality control is a crap-shoot on these things. But we truly are living in the golden age of cheap equipment.

I would actually encourage anyone interested in one to pull the trigger. Your mileage may vary. I may try again when I'm ready for a project. The return/refund was quick and easy so there's really no big risk involved.

14. Thanks for sharing your experience with us all, how wo
    Thanks for sharing your experience, how would you rate the body wood in terms of hardness? Do screws feel mushy and strip easily or is it pretty good? Or does it vary a bunch

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  15. Is the truss rod even centered??

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  16. Well, I just lucked into my first one; found it at a pawn shop not three miles from my house and was so taken by the weight (or lack thereof) that I wanted to investigate further. For me the appeal of these is as modding platforms. They are cheap and so un-collectable that I can do pretty much what I want with them without catching flak from anybody, and I won't break my back doing it.

And I have purchased much more pedigreed vintage instruments that were such a dumpster fire of unexpected and undisclosed flaws and malfunctions that finally I just had to throw my head back and laugh and give a nod to A. E. Housman. Time to call in my crack team of trouble-shooters, Goldberg and Gearloose.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  17. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I've had one of these in my shopping cart for a long time. Just interested in trying it out to see how much worse or not it is than my other instruments.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  18. Well, I haven't messed with the bridges; no need to. I have had to remove a couple of pickguards but encountered nothing that hoisted any red flags. As to the neck screws, boy! did they put up a fight. These things do not surrender their virginity lightly. I made sure to coat each screw with some lubricant before I re-seated it.
    So I have encountered to date no problems with screws, to which I would like to add that all my basses have a plasti-rubber gasket seated between the metal screw plate and the body of the bass, a finish-protecting measure I have not seen on many more prestigious basses.

As to wood hardness, I believe the wood to be paulownia (not basswood), which is a softer wood. The completed basses have a harder finish; not as hard as on your big-name basses but hard enough to offer some protection to the instrument. I also have a paulownia body with an oil finish (which I got to mate with a particular neck and which weighs 2.5 pounds) that I believe is *very* soft, as in don't set the body down on a cookie crumb. I am going to closely monitor this one to look for screw strip and other like afflictions.

roborend and BadSanta1281 like this.
  19. Visit Guitar Fetish. The parts are nearly as expensive as the assembled ones.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  20. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    The bridge looks centered to the neck heal fairly close. Pickup routing in the pick gaurd appears to be way off. Could be a simple fix with a new pick guard and a chisel.

BadSanta1281 likes this.