1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD... no-name P-style (Yikes!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadSanta1281, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Good question. I never checked it.

Push the buy button and report back to us. You might get a good one. Like I said, the only thing it cost me was some packing tape and a trip to the post office to ship it back. No risk involved.

2. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    Sure, it's a no lose gamble, but unless you have all the time in the world to tweak the thing into reasonable playability, I wouldn't deal with a new bass that's <$200. Super low QC on that one. I would take a kit and assemble it myself to avoid crooked tuners and off center bridges and necks.
    Finding a used Squier Affinity, 3rd Gen Peavey Fury or the like will result in a $100-150 bass that will be much better off.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  3. Maybe so. I bet there was a batch of pick guards that were bad. Easier to ship it back for free and start from scratch, though.

4. I'm leaning towards the $200 Yamaha trbx174. Looks to be built like a tank. Next purchase I'm going to see in person before money changes hands.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've never understood the desire to buy a cheap instrument and roll the dice. On the other hand, I keep my instruments for decades (two main players have been in my possession 34 and 15 years), so perhaps I have a different take than most.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  6. Hunting for bargains is a hobby in itself. You could probably flip one of these on Craigslist for more than you paid originally. Cheap is not always bad and expensive is not always good.

wintremute and buldog5151bass like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    True. I recently picked up some cabs because the price was too good to pass up. But I like to keep what I have. I'm on my second case on my jazz that I bought (used) when Reagan was president.

8. We seem about to slip off into apples and oranges. OP is discussing a bass he plans to return due to poor QC. Bulldog is talking about holding what he's got. I simply am unable to connect these dots. Looks like two threads to me.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I love bargain hunting! I have a few basses that I scored for well under $200 that are all easily flipped for $300-500. The catch is that I set them up and did a part swap here and there and now they are virtually unsellable since I bonded with them. haha.
    A friend found a 87 Peavey Patriot in a pawn shop for $100 last month. It has the Schaller tuners and Super Ferrite PU. Killer bass. He removed the stickers, cleaned it up, restrung and set it up and flipped it for $250.

Clark Word and BadSanta1281 like this.
  10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My point was that I don't understand why someone would be buying what is obviously a cheaply made bass. You just are not going to get quality when buying a sub $60 bass. Just sayin'.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  11. I agree. And I am very pleased with my $200 Squier Affinity PJ.

Clark Word and BadSanta1281 like this.
  12. A valid point, except these particular cheaply made basses have received many more positive reviews than negative. And they are a "new thing" upon which some light should be shed. And, as you imply, there are other options out there, which may or may not apply.

In my particular case they don't apply. I am buying for weight. These basses consistently come in at under seven pounds. The Fenders, Peaveys et al I've put on a scale run between 8.2 and 9.2 pounds, and usually toward the higher end of the range. And they cost a heck of a lot more per piece, even used.

Sometimes, across a broad spectrum of criteria, the cheaper instrument represents the better value. And I have at my house a representative sample of these basses. I suspect you have had no opportunity to actually examine one.

Let's wait and see what is the collective TB verdict on these basses.

CatchaCuda and BadSanta1281 like this.
  13. I have a fetish for cheap basses, I just can't help myself. Besides, everyone loves sinking a load of money in to mods that you'll never recoup.

14. There are a lot of different facets to this hobby. Nothing wrong with this approach as long as it's worth it to you and you don't expect to recoup your investment.

15. What he said. Mine was just one experience. He has had several that worked out well. I think everyone who's responded here should get one so we can all compare notes on them.

16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There is no doubt that there are plenty of good playing cheaper instruments out there. What I would like to see is how they hold out in the long run. Somehow I doubt a Squier Affinity will still be in great shape in a century (or even half that).

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  17. I get your point. I wasn't expecting a Fender American for sixty bucks but sometimes cheap stuff works out well. In this case it didn't. I had to see for myself what the deal was and it was a no-risk situation.

It was still worth sixty just for the body and the neck if you wanted a project. When I'm ready for a project I may try again. Just got to finish all my other projects first.

18. At my age what something looks or performs like in fifty years isn't really relevant anymore.
    Tick-tock. Just saying.

patrickj, Clark Word and MynameisMe like this.
  19. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I don't know what you'd expect from a bass that cost $60, that bass looks like it is easily worth $60. Misalinged pickups, weird tuners - if you were expecting a bass that was perfectly set up and 100% on point for $60, you're really the uninformed one in the transaction - honestly, if all the parts are there it was a good deal. If you spend under $800 on a brand new bass and it has some quirks, I think that's to be expected. If ou buy a sub $800 bass that is perfectly set up and playable, consider yourself lucky, if you buy a sub $80 bass and it's not missing any parts or broken, consider yourself lucky again.

TrustRod and felis like this.
  20. Joybass

Joybass

Jun 22, 2015
    Leidschendam, NL
    According to statistics I have a life expectancy of another, say, 23 years. Perhaps 13 of these years will I still be able to play a bass, if my wits don't leave me, so why would I care whether my basses last another half century? I'd rather spend some more money on 'cheap' but interesting basses.

BadSanta1281 likes this.