1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD... no-name P-style (Yikes!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BadSanta1281, Feb 10, 2019.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just a different attitude. My wife's violin is over 100 years old - still sounds and plays wonderful (and the value increases).
    my friend plays a '58 Strat and a '63 ES 335 (and the value keeps increasing). One of my basses is over 40 years old. So stable, I don't think I have had to adjust the neck more than three times in 35 years.

I don't view instruments as a disposable commodity.

2. Ummm, no. Not uninformed. Maybe you didn't read through the whole thread.

I stated many times already that it was worth that much in parts alone. If it would have cost anything to ship it back for a refund it would still be in my possession. But why keep something that's not put together right if I don't have to? I can put that money towards something (hopefully) better built instead.

Why am even defending returning it? I should go practice instead!

3. Even if they are left completely stock, there's no recouping on these basses. It's "love the one you're with," all the way.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  4. When we're dead and gone the value of the instruments we leave behind won't matter much. It doesn't even matter now unless you're selling it.

Value is perceived by the individual. Your perception is your reality, my perception is my reality.

paco facile and patrickj like this.
  5. True. The P bass is such a simple concept, that I feel stupid paying too much for them though. Yeah, nicer feel and hardware, but that stuff's all easily remedied. It's a design intended to be cheap to mass produce and cheap (this is relative, granted) to buy. Spending $2k on a "boutique" P bass is ridiculous to me.

That said, a dog is a dog, no point hanging on to a bass that's no fun/hard to play. If you want longevity, you'll likely have to spend more than $55, unless you literally steal a bass.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  6. Absolutely agree with this.

Until my skills develop to where a $200 bass is really holding back my progress then I can't see paying a whole lot more. Better to spend that money on lessons. Two grand on a bass boggles my mind, but that's just my perception. Expecting to need to pay a minimum of $800 for something decent is something I can't wrap my head around. This is my one of my hobbies, not my livelihood. I'd rather have fun with a few cheap basses and guitars than one very expensive one.

I don't buy my clothes in a boutique, I refuse to eat in any restaurant that calls itself a bistro and I'm not impressed with expensive wines. I've been driving the same old pickup truck for 23 years now. That's what I call a good value. I'm a simple man and I prefer a simple life. Nothing against the cork-sniffers, just not comfortable hanging out with that crowd.

But when I spend sixty bucks of my money on anything I kind of expect the parts to be lined up more or less where they should be.

7. Longevity is not a thing I concern myself much with these days. It's "que cera cera."

4sight and BadSanta1281 like this.
  8. I'm after keepers now, I'm fed up with the chase. That's why I got married too :roflmao:

I'm paring down, only 3 basses left now!

9. Just get a sharpie marker and write on the back of the body...
    "Dear Bad Santa,
    Thanks for all of your help and encouragement. I couldn't have done it without you.
    I owe you one!
    Forever grateful,
    Sir Paul"
    Then list it on Craigslist or just keep it to impress your friends and neighbors.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  10. Yeah, you're not the *only* one who has seen this parallel. Having lots of basses *is* like dating a lot of gals to find the one who's right. But at some point you have to implement the Rolling Stones protocol of moving along want you want and just keeping what you need.

If basses were taxed the way windows were in the 18th and 19th centuries, that would put an end to bass hoarding right there.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  11. Couldn’t you have shipped that bass to that poor guy from Argentina in that other thread and let him fix it? He gets a bass and learns something, and you’re a good human.

Bass Jones and BadSanta1281 like this.
  12. Clark Word

Clark Word

Aug 26, 2018
    Why go used? You can get a brand new Squier Affinity Series Precision Bass PJ - Olympic White w/ Indian Laurel Fingerboard at sweetwater for $199. I had been interested in these "less than a C note" basses for modding until I saw this.
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-olympic-white-with-indian-laurel-fingerboard

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    BadSanta1281 likes this.
  13. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    When I build a bass, $60 gets me... half a set of tuners.

14. The chase is half the fun! Pretty sure none of the Stones are married to the same women as when they recorded that song.

15. Shipping to Argentina... how much would that cost? I'm not that good -or- that human!

16. ...said the guy with seven or eight $60 basses. :)

17. You overlooked the qualifier. Basses are not taxed like windows were. For that matter, windows are not taxed like windows were either.

And it's not seven or eight sixty dollar basses. One of them cost $99, and I had to wait a month for it to ship.

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  18. Way back in college I asked a girl I had a casual friendship with if she'd been chaste. She replied that not only had she been chased, she'd been caught a few times, too.

paco facile, Mark76 and BadSanta1281 like this.
  19. JZQuantum

JZQuantum Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I can understand getting the tuners a little off position for this price point, but those pickup poles are so misaligned it's criminal. Is it because of the positioning of the bridge?

I'd prefer to get a kit for $80 that requires me to assemble it and drill all of the mounting holes. Even if I paid a luthier $100, I would think one would have a good bass for a beginner or gig bass.

Maybe you should've just considered it cheap wall art and mounted to your wall.;)

BadSanta1281 likes this.
  20. The bridge didn't seem far off from the neck. I think the pick guard was routed wrong.

The best thing about this bass is all this conversation that it has generated!

JZQuantum and Bass Jones like this.