1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD / NPD - Schecter SLS Elite-5 with Fishman Fluence pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DistortedBass, Jan 21, 2019.

1. DistortedBass

DistortedBass Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    I put together a video demo and review on the bass. It's really something all together different for Schecter. The neck is noticeably slimmer and the the weight is cut down from series like the Hellraiser, although they weren't back breakers to begin with.

The Fluence are a beast unto themselves. Really different. I'll give them a round of applause for having their own distinct tone, rather than being a "our version" an already existing sound. They have more options than I was able to get my head around right away. I'll be following this one shortly with a video just on the Fishmans. I give it a 10 on looks. Really just a beautiful instrument.

2. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Thank you! What is the balance like standing?

DistortedBass likes this.
  3. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    It's excellent. Really surprising for such a light bass. I was expecting worse. I've gigged with it a couple times and it had zero dive and was super comfortable.

4. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Purgatory
    Seems like it fits only a few very particular musical niche's based on the sound, but boy, you make it sound MEAN (in the best of ways). I like it. If I were deep into playing metal, I'd be GAS'in.
    Regardless, congrats. And incredible playing.

5. Usidore T Blue

Usidore T Blue

Jun 28, 2017
    Thanks again. I have another question, if you have the time. Your examples, even the DI ones, are played fast and hard, which I totally understand for a Schecter bass demo, but I am curious. What does it sound like in a different use case? Can I dial up a sound for a less growly and aggressive tone?

6. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Thanks a lot for the compliments! I would definitely say it's not as limited to metal as you might think. It's an incredibly versatile set of sounds. I can get funk, and even solid jazz style tones from it. I just happen to be a primarily metal guy!

7. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    I thought the DI's were my slow version! I may need to cut back on the coffee! You can definitely get more subtle tones. I've pulled a lot of variety out of it. There's a lot to explore in the electronics package. Also, I'm using steel rounds on this demo. Switching to a smoother nickel or flats would make a big difference as well.

Usidore T Blue likes this.
  8. Very interesting bass. I’ve always admired Schecter instruments.

Any idea of what the bridge string spacing is measured at?

9. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    I'm going back and fourth between this and an Ibanez SR Premium for my next bass. Awesome demo by the way!

I do have a question about the 3 way toggle switch - is it just a gimmick or does it give you sounds you could actually use?

10. deff

deff Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2018
    Gloucester, MA
    There is a companion video that he does on the Fluence Pickups. It literally goes over all of the tonal options including SC/HB tones. There is a link to that in the video you posted.

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Nice.

I gotta admit, either I haven't been paying attention, or Recently Schecters been making some really nice basses, of ALL types. I had a stilletto years ago, when I thought all they had were the "stilletto" types.(at least that's all GC carried.) I also had aSchecter 6 string, which was beautiful. Sound of an expensive Les paul, but stayed in tune and waay more playable... at 1/4 the price.

I got my eye on 'em again these days..

12. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    And I have just watched it. Very informative - subbed!

DistortedBass and DiscoRiceJ like this.
  13. DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Michigan
    Thanks for checking it out, hope it helped!

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    I'm GASing after one of these, they are such stunning basses. Any idea what the string spacing is?

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021