1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD... Oddball acoustic/electric Charvel ATX

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moonshinegtrs, Feb 9, 2016.

1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Banned Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    I won this on ebay last week...

Early 90s Charvel ATX bass, Acoustic Electric, Black with soft case working fine

It was listed as "works fine" but when it arrived the neck had a pretty big underbow, the poly had some finish checking on the top and back of the body and the stereo output jack was bad. Still, I like the bass; it's a pretty cool design and at the price I paid, I think it would be a good candidate to mod.

I adjusted the truss rod and got the neck straight (the body end of the neck is slightly kicked up on the treble side, but a little fretwork should take care of that) then I replaced the output jack, cleaned it up and put a decent used set of strings on it.

20160208_170959_resized_zpsutkrh6m7.
    20160208_171006_resized_zpstxmmoixi.

The electronics are passive and... meh, at best.
    20160208_171057_resized_zpsuljvcykj.

I'm thinking about replacing the under saddle pickup and installing some kind of active e.q. but first I want to try out some kind of string that will compliment this design, possibly Thomastik Infelds Acousticores...

I'm looking at ordering a set of these...

Thomastik AB344 Acousticore Phosphor Bronze 4-String Bass Strings

Any thoughts on using these or ??? I have no experience with this type of string.

Moonshine :bassist: