1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD of the Best Kind! 1978 Rickenbacker 4001

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EdHunter, Aug 28, 2012.

1. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Seems imgur isn't Tb's favourite image hoster, so here's a link to the album:
    http://imgur.com/a/fn6Z1#qsTbu

So, this is a 1978 Ricky 4001. It's entirely original, even down to the point where the missing cap to a control knob wasn't replaced with a new one. The original owner played it for a few months, then kept it stored for some time, his son then sold it on to KeBo's Bass Works in New York. Here's where you'll all start hating me... My Dad then bought it as my graduation/university/19th birthday (yes, I know, tough life, eh?:rolleyes:) present and my little brother bought it back to Switzerland when he visited a friend in New York (hence the tags on the case). It plays like an absolute dream and sounds great on my little Marshall combo - gonna hook it up to my stack later today for a real workout! I can safely say, that this bass will stay with me until I can't play any more... :bassist:

2. RootNoteRadical

RootNoteRadical

Dec 8, 2011
    That is SWEET! Congrats, go crank it up through your Marshall!!!

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Very, very nice.

4. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    Nice! I love rickenbackers with the black accouterments, is that the original finish?

5. Awesome, Edhunter! Congratulations!!!

6. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Yep - it's 100% as it was new.

7. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    You know what I got for my 19th birthday? "You'll have to get a job so you can pick up the cost of insurance and the phone bill, and this...and that..." etc.

Haha, don't worry though, I'm not really hating on you. Congrats on the beautiful Ric!