1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Old school MIJ Westone content

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by progrmr, May 23, 2012.

1. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Saw this wandering around my local used music gear store. Typically this store is a place where instruments go to die, but this one is a real jem.

Output on the bridge pickup is pretty weak. Has a 3-way toggle switch and what I believe are two volume and one tone knob. Interesting cut-out on the body at the lower horn, like they were making it easier for slapping but this bass doesn't really have a good slap tone.

Only $150 to boot! Not sure of the year, probably on the neck or neck pocket. Not sure I want to disrupt the alignment of things by pulling the neck off. Doesn't really matter to me anyway - it scream vintage, looks and sounds great. What more can a bassist ask for??

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I don't really understand what i am looking at in the first couple pictures!
    Is the lower horn thinner by half an inch or something

3. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    yea - some weird cut-away to make that lower horn section thinner..?? I'm not even sure of the model for this bass, if anyone knows anything I'd be interested.

4. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Dude - THAT is awesome info! Thanks!

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    If you ever decide to sell it.... just say the word.... nice score!

6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had one of these and liked it okay. I couldn't get past the fact that the E string was too close to the edge of the fingerboard for my liking.

OCD on my part, I guess.

7. dougazbass

dougazbass Supporting Member

May 6, 2011
    Mesa, AZ
    This bass for $150?????? Jezzz...these are great basses.

8. I love those oddball 80s Japanese made basses. It kinda has a Blade Runner type vibe.

9. That article says the pickups are Magnabass III (neck) and Magnabass IV (bridge), same as on a Spectrum GT. So if the bridge pickup is weak, you may want to get it checked out, because the MB IV pickup on my Westone is an 80s growl monster.

Looks like a great find overall; it's like a Spectrum but with a full 24 frets, nice.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I agree with Spectrum. All the weston basses I got to play around with in the early 80's had hot pups. Bridge and neck both. Maybe something gone wrong on the wiring or pots?

Nice basses as I remember.

11. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio

LOL - I doubt I'll be selling this one, I love me some vintage gear :)

I will have to investigate the wiring. The bridge pup alone is where it sounds thin, but in the middle switch position there's a nice growl to it.