1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Old style Hamer Cruise Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Webtroll, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    After some bad experiences with the staff at Guitar Center in South Austin I bought this bass thought the Round Rock store. I overpaid a bit, but I've been yearning for a mahogany neck and body bass. It's supposed to be an early Cruise Bass with aftermarket EMGs which I prefer over the DiMarzios that the early ones came with. I believe they are aftermarket because the wiring job is pewp; at first the bass would not work, swapped the battery, same. Shook the cables, it started working.

The good:
    I've always liked the style of the Cruise Bass, and I like the creme color with white pickguard
    With the exception of the neck the finish is in decent shape for an 80s bass that has been played
    The neck is straight and the frets are in great shape
    It is relatively light, in the 9-9.5 pound range at a guess (my 2nd digital scale is MIA)
    Of the available pickups that would have come with a Cruise Bass my first choice would have been EMGs

The bad:
    It was sold to me as having the original HSC. If a cardboard box with shipping wrap was the original HSC, then that's what I got.
    The back of the neck has finish unevenly scraped off the top layer of finish but not to the wood. I have sandpaper and creme colored lacquer (reranch aerosol), can repair
    I need to track down at least one loose connection in the electronics, but I may just take it apart and rewire it properly or add an EMG EQ

So regarding the bad the wiring and finish on the back of the neck aren't deal breakers as I consider them to be minor repairs. The case, on the other hand, pissed me off seriously. A form fitted original case would make the bass worth more, but then it would also make it heavy to carry around (being plywood and all). The guys at the South Austin GC were useless; despite several of them telling me it had the original HSC they shipped it off without a case and no note to the Round Rock guys that it was missing. Even the invoice listed it.

Elliot, Chris and Will at the Round Rock Guitar Center were extremely accommodating and tried to track down the original case. The SA store claimed they never got it, so they called to the previous store that had it to try and find it with no luck. They tried to locate another one with no luck (no surprise there I could have told them if they'd found one it would probably have been for the newer Cruise model anyways). They offered me another case and let me pick from what they had in store, which was a lot actually. I actually went cheap with a Road Runner lightweight case because I'd like to keep the weight down, and it fit the bass perfectly. Not the original HSC, but the case I would have purchased anyways. They made sure I was happy and that I knew I could just decline the bass if I wasn't happy.

Anyhoo, as it is a well known fact that a lack of a picture means there is no actual bass, I give you the Hamer Cruise Bass:

c8LXOTI.

2. Slade N

Slade N Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    portland, or
    have played these but never owned one, thought that they, like the 2nd gen cruise, were very well built solid players

congrats!

3. Draculea

Draculea

Oct 2, 2011
    Mexico City
    Nice Bass, enjoy it!

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I like that design congrats

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    are those stock emg's??

6. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I originally bought that bass and had it shipped to the SA store. After seeing the EMG's I didn't want it. The store I bought it from in CT said it was all original. I prefer the DiMarzio pickups. When I bought it it was sight unseen. And it DID have the original case! Those guys at the South Austin store must still have it. It was also advertised as a 1982 bass but was actually from 1985. I was looking for a first year Cruise Bass. The original case also had the original pots and 2 of the 3 knobs, so I'd ask them to track it down again. It is a very large case, but it is the original one. Glad you like the bass.

7. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Sweet info! I will take this up with GC and see if I can't get the original case. But then I really like the case I got because it's so light.

The SN# is definitely an 85, just looked it up. As I was not looking for a collectors item that's not a big deal to me. I have a project P bass with DiMarzios and don't need 2 basses with them. I will say as a mahogany bass I'm tempted to get some Thunderbird pickups for no good reason other than because I can.

As to liking it, I like the weight, the EMGs, the color, and the style. Given that there's a fair amount I'm willing to forgive.

As to stock pickups, I found this information online regarding stock pickups in Hamer basses:

1975-’85 – DiMarzio X2N (with or without active preamp)
    1982-’85 – DiMarzio P- and J-type (open-coil, passive)
    1985-ca. ’90 – Hamer Slammer (covered, DiMarzio)
    1986-’88 – OBL (German)
    1988 – EMG
    1995 – Seymour Duncan

8. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I stop at the South Austin store frequently, as it's on my way home from work. I rarely buy anything; the guys there are generally not knowledgeable and are borderline incompetent. I'll pay more to shop at Strait, South Austin Music or Musicmakers.

9. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I spoke to one guy on the phone who seemed knowledgeable bit he wasn't in when I got there, and the guy I spoke to there seemed more interested in telling me how things are even when he had no idea *** he was talking about. His attitude of not wanting to deal and not wanting to listen was a complete opposite of the guys I've dealt with at the Round Rock store. None of them are bass players, but they'll listen and do what they can to make you happy and make a deal.

To be honest the only time I can remember dealing with a bass savvy staff was when I spoke to the guys at Bass Emporium. Add to that Chuck did the best damned setups I've ever had on a bass. The setups he did for my Warwick fretless and SUB 4 were amazing.

10. Mudcat35

Mudcat35

Feb 21, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Bass Emporium was the best. Bought several things from them.