1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD: OLP MM2 (Stingray clone)...not bad a'tall

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by itchy, May 24, 2011.

1. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    I've been looking for a cheap/beater bass to keep at my girlfriend's house just to dork around on now and then...

I just copped an OLP MM2, EBMM Stingray clone for $100.
    After cleaning it up, setting up the truss/bridge, and slapping some DR's on it...I'm pretty dang impressed.

The neck feels really good to me, very comfortable, nice action, and there are no dead spots whatsoever, not even a faint one on the G string.
    The hardware doesn't seem iron tough, but it does its job.
    Unplugged, it already has that Stingray-ish tone.

The electronics is where the weakest link is. The pickup itself sounds decent, but the volume-per-coil control is all but useless....and the passive tone knob barely makes any difference in the tone.
    I saw someone on TB selling one that was gutted with just a wide open volume control. I think they had the right idea. But, I'll rarely plug this guy in anyway, just a couch bass.

OK, this isn't a 'real' EBMM....but at one tenth the price, it is an all out steal. It'll eat a Squier Affinity for breakfast.
    Great beginner bass / low worry travel bass / punk rock gig beer spilling bass / girlfriend's house bass.:D

2. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    My thoughts exactly when I owned one: nice neck, lame pickup.

(Pic please.)

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    For $100, why not.

4. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
  5. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Don't sell this bass short! You are absolutely right that electronics are crap. Everybody thinks it's the pickup but it isn't. If you are going to wire it one way, then put the two coils in series. Leave the tone as is...it will actually work with pickups in series. On mine I rewired it with series/parallel on a push-pull volume, and added a blend instead of the two volume thing.

http://www.mrk-inc.com/users/fjacoby/SXmodsBlend.bmp

This is the circuit I put on some of my SX Jazz basses, and the only difference on the OLP is that the "neck and bridge" pickups actually refers to the COIL nearest the neck or nearest the bridge rather than to a whole pickup. The "blend" control doesn't work very well but it does allow you to switch between coils for single coil and also at detent for "both".

Pull the volume into series and balance the pickup coils and I tell you you will be totally amazed at the 'Ray tone coming out of this $100 bass! I mean AMAZED!

6. itchy

itchy

Jan 3, 2009
    Bay Area
    I would like to re-wire mine without the coils controllable separately.
    Just one volume and a tone.
    I need to learn how to solder! That's next on my agenda.