1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

nbd- ovation celebrity BC2 solid body bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Maxdusty, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I just bought a cheap $95 bass from CL - never heard of Ovation making a solid body other than the Magnum so I was intrigued, besides price was cheap. So what the heck it had a funky sticker on it (or what looked like a sticker), it was worth a shot. Tried to find some preliminary info, didn't have much time as I had to look at the bass in about an hour, only info I could find was the bass is a BC2 model, not many were made and it looked a lot like a Kramer or one of the many other 80's basses made at that time (1987). What intrigued me most were posts that it was apparently a collector's bass these days- not sure about the true value of the bass as estimates were all over the place, but for $95, it was worth finally owning an Ovation solid body bass I've always wanted to try as a kid, just not the model I was looking for (the Magnum) lol! Oh well, someday.
    Picked up the bass, and it actually sounds good (will give it a full tryout tomorrow though), only problem is that sticker was not a sticker, it was a chrome emblem that I can't remove !! Why would anyone do such a thing??!!?? Anyway, given the price, I've let it slide as it plays a lot better than I expected. A few dings on the back, one knob is not original, one saddle isn't original or even the same color (grrr) so I'll probably get those corrected, I guess I'll grow to appreciate having a constant companion on this bass (just not to be played in front of puritanical family members or friends).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
    Bass V likes this.
  2. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    I bought one of these as a store trade in. 85.00 with tax. It sounded really good even with rusty strings. but seeing I was wanting to have something different, I restrung it BEAD, and used it for drop D tunes and until I got an honest 5 string. Really under rated. Tone had lotsa balls. I still dig it out occasionally. These are pretty good beaters.

3. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    how'd it work out for you?

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Didn't have it long before I ended up essentially trading it along with another bass for something else. I guess in retrospect, a little time and I could have put some work into the bass and made it more into something I would consider keeping but it didn't seem worth the effort as I really wasn't into it (it was a decent enough bass mind you but it just didn't really do anything for me, the neck was a tad wider than I would have liked). Trading it wasn't a difficult decision.

Bass V and Tim Schnautz like this.
  5. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    One thing about them, is they appeal to the 'pointy head stock crowd' and they didn't look bad from a distance. LOL! I need to replace the jack in mine otherwise it's good to go.

Maxdusty likes this.