1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NBD P bass work in progress

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 60bass, Oct 7, 2016.

1. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    A few pics of my latest build. Hope to have it finished within the next couple days.

MIM MIdnight Blue body with a MIM Precision Bass Special jazz width neck. The PU's will be a set of EMG Geezer Butler's and I can't wait to hear those. Bridge is a Hipshot Kickass just because I wanted to try one. Tuners are also Hipshot products. HB7's drop in for MIM necks. Body already had straploks on it. I had 4 different PG's white, mint green, gold anodized, and black diamond pearl. Decided to let my Daughter pick the guard. She went with the black diamond pearl. Smart girl. Still undecided about strings. Rounds or flats?

So far I think I'm really going to like this bass.

MB1_zpstbegcldc.

MB2_zpss6zl8amr.

MB3_zpstcjj1v4o.

MB4_zpsmd8rpdfl.

A-Ro and 1954bassman like this.
  2. Zane DeBord

Zane DeBord Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2014
    IL
    That MID looks so purple! I'd love to see pictures in a different lighting. That looks like a groove machine, so I'd go with flats. Maybe even black nylons tapes, just for the visual effect.

60bass likes this.
  3. oranje

oranje I'm your Huckleberry Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    That's a bridge alright. Looking very good. Try Pressure wounds, love em on my P's and J's. Enjoy!

60bass likes this.
  4. ScarfFace

ScarfFace Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2014
    La Crosse WI
    Flats. Always flats

60bass likes this.
  5. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Probably go with rounds at first. Just because I don't have a set of flats here. I've got a new set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinky 50-105 here that a friend gave me so I'll probably toss those on. Till I decide what I want to use on this bass. I've got Roto RS66L's and LaBella DTF's on my other basses and kinda thinkin about something different for this bass. Been a busy few days so I haven't finished the bass yet, maybe this afternoon.

6. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Never tried a set of pressure wounds. Maybe I'll try a set of those. Any recommendations?

7. oranje

oranje I'm your Huckleberry Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    GHS, either the ML or the Med. 7200, they are *kind of* in between. I love flats for most P applications, but also enjoy a little more zing at times, The GHS PWs are quite decent for the money.

60bass likes this.
  8. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I've never tried them so I'm going to order up a set and see how I like them.

Thanks

9. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Finally got around to getting the bass finished. For strings I went with the GHS Pressure wounds as oranje suggested ML7200. Those sound good with the EMG Geezer PU. Very smooth with plenty of zing and punchy. Little to no string noise.

The Hipshot kickas* bridge was fairly easy to get dialed in. Only a couple of comments about that. The allen screws for adjustment of the string spacing are a bit tough to get at. When strung up and tuned to pitch those tiny screws on the front of the saddles take a bit of patience to work the allen wrench down under and between the strings. Also the two center bridge sections for the A & D needed to be raised pretty high out of their grooves the get the action height up off the board. IMO too high. Hipshot includes a couple of higher bridge inserts so I'll probably end up using them and lowering the overall saddle height for the A & D strings. Speaking of Hipshot, I'm not overly impressed with the HB7 tuners. While they are an improvement over the stock tuners (barely), the improvement you get doesn't equal the high price of the tuners. One of mine squeaks when you turn it so I have to look into that. The best thing is that they are a drop in replacement, but again IMO they are just plain priced too high for what you gain. I have a set of Fender road worn tallboy elephant ear reverse tuners that I'll probably end up installing on the bass. I didn't use those because I didn't want to drill the screw holes in the headstock but might do it anyway. I'll work with the HB7's for a bit and then decide.

I'm super impressed with the EMG Geezer pup's. They are throaty, punchy, and dead quiet. Very much the vintage pre CBS Fender P vibe. Super close to the tone of the original pup's that were in my old 60 P when I bought her years ago. EMG has done a great job with these. They are not high output and I'm sure there will be players who will buy these thinking they are hot pup's and will be disappointed that they're not. The pup's in my 60 went bad years ago and I no longer have them to compare so I'm going off memory. Right now the 60 has Antiquity II's in it and they sound good. Sometime down the road I'll do a side by side comparison with the Geezers. I wish EMG would make a set with no logo and aged covers. I'm sure they could sell a bunch of them. My only beef with the EMG's is the included wiring harness. The diameter of the threaded pot shafts are smaller than the CTS pots so they are a loose sloppy fit in the PG holes. A minor beef to some but it bothers me. I like the fact that you get a no solder harness as it goes in quick. The tone control taper is very smooth and the tone changes gradually throughout it's range. I'm going to grab another set of the Geezers to install on my 08 P Black 'n' Maple.

Still need to do some fine tuning on the bass but so far I think it's going to be a keeper.

MBD3_zpsseem6owq.

MBD2_zpsldcwtcmq.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    1954bassman likes this.
  10. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Nice bass. I have a MIM Precision Deluxe Active that I am looking at replacing the factory bridge. The Kickass is my top choice, but now I am not so sure after your experience. Another one I was considering was a Fender high mass, or something else. What's your opinion here? Thanks

60bass likes this.
  11. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    Ooooo she purty!

60bass likes this.
  12. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Well I worked with it a bit yesterday and here's how it worked out. The KA bridge ships with different height saddles. Low, medium, and high. By installing the high saddles in the middle I ended up moving the A & D a bit higher. That enabled me to lower the whole saddles somewhat so it's better than it was.

IMO it looks like the neck sits high in the pocket on this bass and since this bass is a parts bass it's entirely possible that the bridge needs raised more than normal.

Seems to be fine now though. If anything the action will never be higher then it's set now. I do like the fact that the KA has a ton of adjustability on it. Way more than any BA style bridge.

1954bassman likes this.
  13. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Here's a couple good pics of the way the neck sits in the pocket and how the KA saddles look right now. Maybe this wil give you a better idea of what I'm talking about.

MBD4_zps5tiqh76z.

MBD7_zpsnppuirqq.

MBD6_zpsrl4u9cbd.

A-Ro likes this.
  14. Rockonjp76

Rockonjp76

Aug 8, 2016
    716, NY
    Super nice, great job!

60bass likes this.
  15. I think it's just matter of swapping the saddle inserts between the G and A strings. The saddles with the deepest grooves are supposed to be used for the lower strings.
    https://www.hipshotproducts.com/files/all/kickass_setup_instructions.pdf

Cheers,
    L

16. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

I saw that in the instructions and will mess around some more with the different saddle inserts. One thing I noticed is my inserts have no colored spots on them like the instructions show. No biggie because it's easy to see the different heights. The inserts themselves are all the same physical size. Only the depth of the groove is different. Going to check it tomorrow.