NBD (P-Style Homebrew)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThuzzleFump, Apr 24, 2016.

1. ThuzzleFump

ThuzzleFump All your bass...

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    I just finished a project that I posted about a few weeks ago. I took a Squier CV 51 P body, modified it (thanks Dremel!) to take a more standard P-Style neck (Mighty Mite), swapped the pickup for a Duncan Antiquity II, ditched the pickguard and tug bar, and refinished it to look not like a "relic" but like the body was salvaged from old barn door or similar.

A few bumps and false starts along the way, but I'm happy with the way it came out. Looks great (to me), has a really rich and clean P tone, and plays very nicely. I'll probably continue to tweak setup and have a few further ideas for enhancements. For now, though, it's time to just play it.

Total cost was around $420, and the completion date was around 4/20, so, obviously, I christen it the "Beater Model 420 Bass."

It was a fun project and I encourage anyone on the fence about a simple project like this to go ahead.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
  3. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Looking great!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  4. neo 7

neo 7 The bass player doesn't get a sandwich

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Cool

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  5. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    I'm lovin' the combination of the '54 body with the modern headstock! And the finish is lovely!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  6. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Thanks! I was going for contrasts between old and new in shape, era, and finish (really, I thought it through like that) and I too felt that the shape of the body and headstock worked very nicely together. Fender did the same thing with the 60th Anniversary P, though I like the look of the single coil pickup in this design.

7. nerkoids

nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Decal for ya:

[​IMG]

ThuzzleFump and JRA like this.
  8. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    Wow nice work, sick looking bass!!

ThuzzleFump likes this.
  9. ThuzzleFump

Nov 15, 2015
    California
    Nice. Maybe I can get some printable decal stock and make it real. Thanks!

nerkoids likes this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 26, 2022