1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NBD - Padalka Ennea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassJuju, Oct 17, 2020.

1. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    In the land of TalkBass the coming and going of basses is all too frequent. Even in my tiny patch of the world, they do come and go. Albeit less and less as I fine tune what I like and what I want, but it still happens. For these reasons, I don't often do separate NBD posts, opting to post some content in the thread that features the make or model of bass. I mean, I like my new toy, but not everyone likes this particular style of toy.

This bass will not be everyones cup of tea. Of this, I am certain. There are at least, and I am being very generous, two other posts where many have said as much. Thats OK. Still, I felt an instrument on the unique side of the scale deserved something more than a post in existing thread. So, here we are.

I made a trade for this bass. And, I wasn't sure I was going to do it all the way to the shop. And, I was certain I was going to do it as well. I know, dichotomy, its a... well, you know. You see, I need basses to do more than look good/cool/whatever, they must have tone. Something different than my other basses. Or, at least as good. So, for me, I knew it had the looks. What I didn't know was how it sounded. The guy from which I was purchasing the bass did a great job of describing it. An online video made it sound good as well; for a compressed video streamed to my computer and out of a couple of reference monitors. Still, never having touched it, I wasn't sure on that category.

I played it through a vintage SVT. The tone was really great. OK, maybe its the SVT, tried a few different amps and my in ears... still the tone... still the bass... beef and growl all day long. At this point, it was coming home.

Again, I know this one isn't for everyone. It is for me. Looks great, feels great, and most importantly, sounds great. These basses are hard to come by. Simon doesn't make many, the wait is long, and the prices for new ones seem to be going up. I took some photos and they are below. I will also share the link where one could see the build process and the studio shots. They are much better.

Ennea Bass NAMM

E64BDC71-4274-46A5-8FB5-1E4CE1C7932C_1_201_a.jpeg 4C179838-35EE-49B0-91EC-0831A28D1291_1_201_a.jpeg F20A229C-3D59-4E09-B3DA-6EBFC96CCD52_1_201_a.jpeg 6261E0F7-ACE9-401C-AE1F-D4D6BFA35C5D_1_201_a.jpeg 85C757C4-9AA5-4483-9110-51B09803A225_1_201_a.jpeg 6FFEE1A0-2086-4583-B826-1900F945CA1C_1_201_a.jpeg F85695BE-3D45-4419-98F7-D5487898E356_1_201_a.jpeg 90E982BC-A06B-42D9-A97E-5520770C6DAE_1_201_a.jpeg

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    :drool:

Aqualung60 and BassJuju like this.
  3. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Love it! Welcome to the club of Padalka owners (not a lot of us!)

BassJuju likes this.
  4. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    PS: the looks are one thing but the construction and feel are as good as any bass I've tried - and I worked in a top repair shop and have played pretty much everything...

BassJuju likes this.
  5. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Yes, it’s just a flawless construction. I love the way he plays with contrasts and shades as well. It is as close to perfection as instrument I’ve played.

Thanks!

DrThumpenstein and Dynacord like this.
  6. I actually dig these. I love the pinstriping on the fretboard.

LowActionHero, BassJuju and Dynacord like this.
  7. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    That's INLAY - the precision of his work is amazing.

8. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    He made some odd choices early on as he's not a bass player. The 5 string I got from him he wired the controls with the pan in the first knob position (like on some guitars) and the master volume in the second position. I got him to change that (and add bypass on active basses) to his builds after that. Regardless, great skills - and he's very young - I think still in his mid 20s.

BassJuju likes this.
  9. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    My Ibanez 5 string basses are wired the same way.

BassJuju likes this.
  10. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Interesting. Seems really odd to me.

BassJuju likes this.
  11. BassJuju

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    If there was one thing I wish this bass had, that’s it. I’m probably going to add it in the near future. We’ll call it the “Lee Sklar” addition.

bassb66 and Dynacord like this.
  12. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2008
    New Hampshire
    wow, that's incredible looking. I'm not a single-cutaway kinda guy so I'd prefer a slightly different body shape but with every other detail exactly the same....especially that fingerboard inlay, so creative!

BassJuju and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  13. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    I did that on my 5 (which has the same fingerboard inlay design as yours though ebony on maple so in reverse).
    Personal taste but the bypass is my favorite tone on it.

BassJuju likes this.
  14. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Superstisous, it would be perfect if V.

BassJuju likes this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

not sure why you 'demured', OP --- that's an amazing looking ax! beautiful! if it feels good when you play it = you win! congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

16. Krizz

Krizz

May 26, 2018
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, that is gorgeous and unique! Congrats

BassJuju likes this.
  17. nbsipics

nbsipics Boredom is Dangerous Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Outstanding! And one of the best pre/battery covers I have ever seen. Very cool.

BassJuju likes this.
  18. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Neat!

BassJuju likes this.
  19. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Whoa mama. What an absolute stunner. Just gorgeous.

Maybe I'm slightly biased because the single-cut profile is actually similar to my MGBass Extreman's. This is its own kind of beauty though, for sure. And those fret markers... man, wow

BassJuju likes this.
  20. taliesin

taliesin

Nov 12, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Wow - that's beautiful.

I'd love to get a Padalka but doesn't seem likely.

Have fun with your bass!

BassJuju likes this.