NBD: Pawn Shop FrankenFender ! LOTS of pics !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, May 30, 2017.

1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    *****CLEANED UP AND REBUILT BASS
    CAN BE SEEN ON PAGE 5*****

Just picked this up in a local pawn shop ...I talked them down to $150 out the door, with a 7 day warranty. Obviously a parts bass, and it's been rode hard and put away wet, but let's check out the parts ....

*Fender MIM Standard Jazz neck
    *Duncan Quarter Pound pickups
    *Unknown body
    *Check out the pickguard...it's busted at the tip, but it looks like a 60s Fender guard, has shrunk like a 60s guard, has the right bevel, and the right pickup cover and thumbrest holes ....hmmm....

So I'm taking it apart and rehabbing it. Clean up, adjust, see how it sounds. It's nice and lightweight, and looks great. It plays great even without tweaking, so hopefully the truss rod is in good wiring shape . Needs a new nut, a tuner ferrule, I'll replace the bridge and strap buttons, probably new knobs as well. That and a cleanup and setup, should be good !

Here are some pics ....I'm gonna go take it apart and rebuild it now ! I'll post some "after" pics as well ....

IMG_8313.JPG IMG_8314.JPG IMG_8315.JPG IMG_8316.JPG IMG_8317.JPG IMG_8318.JPG IMG_8319.JPG IMG_8320.JPG IMG_8321.JPG IMG_8322.JPG IMG_8323.JPG IMG_8324.JPG IMG_8325.JPG IMG_8326.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    ICM, Brio, Tbone76 and 31 others like this.
  2. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    That is rode hard, wow.
    Neglected more like it.
    Make it worthy!

3. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Clearly the "luthier" that performed the mods was actually an angry beaver !!!

I have no idea why this was done, since there are clear wiring channels. The only thing I can think of is maybe someone tried to put EMG pickups in here at one time and needed to clear some space for a battery.

IMG_8330.JPG IMG_8332.JPG

It had vintage routes originally, and also clearly had a standard fender five screw bridge. IMG_8329.JPG

The bridge that was on the basS when I got it only had three screws across the back.

Here is the neck pocket marking ....

IMG_8328.JPG

Clearly They saved that when it was refinished. I "think" the stamp is from an 80's fender reissue, but it's unclear, so hard to tell .... thoughts ?

As far as the pick ups, have not tested them, but they definitely have seen some wear .... IMG_8333.JPG

As far as the neck, everything looks good. Surprisingly little fretwear, and the truss rod works perfectly. I just need to clean it up, replace the nut, and it should be just fine.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
    Yetiparty, Dr. Cheese, Duder and 2 others like this.
  4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I'd say you got deal.
    Curious why the previous owner would put a "Jimmy John's" sticker on the back of the neck?
    Maybe they believed there was no money above the 12th fret so it would never get in the way.

5. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Exactly !!!
    Play too much about the 12th fret and you won't make enough money to buy Jimmy John's! He was probably just trying to inspire himself to make money!

LarryG, jumbodbassman and BBQisgood like this.
  6. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    good news .. the pickups work !

That means that the wiring or pots were faulty

IMG_8335.JPG

Rattman, FenderB, Yetiparty and 3 others like this.
  7. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Had it been stored underwater?

TC424, jamro217, JeroB666 and 2 others like this.
  8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A little cleaning, polishing and lemon oil helps.

Before

IMG_8336.JPG

After

IMG_8337.JPG

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ha !!! Almost seems it !

10. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Man how can that even happen ? It' s like it was left out in the weather somewhere.
    '

Dark Horse likes this.
  11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Probably was played for a long time, not cleaned , and then tucked away and forgotten.

BBQisgood and RED J like this.
  12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I bought a Peavey one time that looked liked somebody had played it last time eating a melted ice cream sandwich. Then hung on hook in a wood shop. It cleaned up nice, but this takes it. Well , except for maybe the decomposing Mustang a while back. Looks like a fun project.

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Neat project! I'm looking forward to seeing the final outcome. :thumbsup:

BBQisgood and Dark Horse like this.
  14. KokaKola

KokaKola

Jan 21, 2015
    Kalamazoo MI
    Oh man. I love it. I had similar knobs on my Precision at one point. Great find!

Dark Horse likes this.
  15. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cleaned up the pickups ave got some of the rust off the polepieces....nowhere near perfect, but much better and "functional"....

Before and after ....

Snapseed.jpg IMG_8338.JPG

16. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While I figure out what to do about the badass tort guard that came on it, I'm thinking about rebuilding it with either an aged white guard or a black guard. Both look cool, and I enjoyed both locks. Still figuring out which one I want to go with.

IMG_8340.JPG IMG_8341.JPG

Tbone76, Dec1975, Yetiparty and 2 others like this.
  17. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    keep that pick guard screwed down to some wood or it'll shrink too much to be used again. maybe drill pilot holes those t things break easy

Great score man, that pick guard is awesome, and the bass isn't bad either.

18. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Yep, it's gonna get locked down tonight . I'll graft a piece of guard onto it later.

19. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    That's period-correct rust. I would leave it! :D

20. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Has Rickenbacker knobs for some reason.

Wisebass, Spidey2112 and Dark Horse like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021