NBD: Pawn Shop FrankenFender ! LOTS of pics !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, May 30, 2017.

1. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I had my fingers crossed that the body matched the tort.

80's Japan isn't half bad either though.

Axstar and Dark Horse like this.
  2. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    man the tort guard wood look awesome on my P bass with the Jazz neck if you don't want it let know. I like it just it is.
    18739986_1505752239481033_2830342988683669132_n.jpg

Dark Horse likes this.
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    :)

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

They do, as does WD Music and Pickguardian, but I didn't feel like paying $35 or more for something that only cost me a little time and elbow grease (there is an actual technique to it beyond "wave a marker at it" ;)). That, and the Blacktop Jazz pictured above was very new and non-standard when I got mine, which, given it's unique pickup placement, would've required me to mail out my original guard and wait for the new one to get to me, not to mention paying shipping both ways.

With my way, I can highlight a B/W/B guard into almost any color I like, especially if I'm Jonesing for something very non-standard…greens, yellows, six different shades of blue, three or four red variants, light or dark brown and now they have a bunch of limited edition neons…and all it'll cost me is a standard pickguard, a marker, a couple of paper towels, maybe some brush-on Krazy Glue and a little bit of time (a lot less than UPS/USPS shipping takes, I'll tell ya that!). The end result is something visually striking and, best of all, unique! :smug:

IMG%2003_zpsrbqgrm5s.jpg
    DSCF0642_zpsbhczfi0a.jpg

If you're interested in going down this route, I left "how-to" instructions here, with later results and findings deeper on into the thread.

JRA, LarryG, 61pandrea and 3 others like this.
  5. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    man you have a good bass there. mine is a 2003 American made. If I was you I'd put that pickguard on an older bass. I like the look, but I like tort on surf green- white- sunburst. Black I like Black on black mirror on back or white black.

Dark Horse likes this.
  6. I was initially thinking it could be converted into a jazz bass guard but forgot about the pickups being a different shape. I wonder how it would look with the damaged part nicely rounded off and beveled "factory style ".

Dark Horse and Sartori like this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yeah, that sticker has to go.

Wisebass, osonu and Dark Horse like this.
  8. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

I'd actually just graft a newer tier guard to the missing part ...like this...

IMG_8346.JPG IMG_8347.PNG

9. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    honestly I don't like the look. it would be cooler if you imitate the crack of the pickguard. that's what I would do make it look it was put back together after it cracked. the straight line cut off looks clean. it looks wrong. just saying. but it's you bass. you know

Dark Horse likes this.
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Replace the rusty parts and put on an off white pearloid pickguard ... and then rock it

11. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    If it is worth something i'd be selling it. You might even make half the original cost back.

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

More likely the cost of the whole bass, or very close to it

13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    .....which explains all the rust on that bass :D:laugh:

beaver-chainsaw.jpg

but at least the beaver left you a message saying....

Thanx.jpg

thanx for the post and for saving the bass :)

greetings

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

BassmanMetzger56 and Dark Horse like this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Dark Horse :)

just my two cents: to stay with a mid 80s style I would go with that aged white pg, keep the knobs, they are perfect for that (only skulls would be better :laugh::laugh:) aaaand.... of course get some cream pickup covers :hyper::hyper::laugh::laugh:

remember everybody put these ugly suckers on their basses back then ;) (well em I did :D)

what to do with the tort pg? Keep it for your next relic project? IMO it deserves a classic colour!

7a00538a1c4281192c2107a53c55f727.jpg

greetings

Wise

Dark Horse likes this.
  15. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Late to the party, but that does look like a '60s guard. The thin black layer gives it away. Even the modern Fender reissues have a black layer of equal width to the two white layers. I think Spitfire get this correct on their reproductions but that is it.

Dark Horse likes this.
  16. I heard talk of that being a MIJ Body and id also agree. From the first photos I thought it was a squier SQ body. The contours, fullerton hump and the non channel routing (now routed) and that stamp. That along with the finish and how it chips reminds me of the 5-6 black SQ bodies I had. Defiantly some Fender Japan body and not some knock off.

Thats a cool parts bass for the buck fifty, lots of potential!

Dark Horse likes this.
  17. Ophiothrix

Ophiothrix

Aug 4, 2016
    Glasgow
    Wow, that was a pretty great deal in the end, you have a good eye!

That mustang still haunts my nightmares to this day.

Dark Horse likes this.
  18. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    I may be in the minority but I'd go aged white. I love the look of those 70s P basses that were black with a white guard.

19. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    They do. I have one on my SS P/ J.

Dark Horse likes this.
  20. Can't go wrong at $150.The vintage tort pickguard alone would likely cost much more. You can sell or use on another project.

A little cleaning goes a long way. I agree on cleaning up the "beaver" route. As for a pickguard, I like tort (but maybe a new one). Aged white looks nice as well.

Enjoy!

Dark Horse likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021