NBD: Pawn Shop FrankenFender ! LOTS of pics !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dark Horse, May 30, 2017.

1. Yay!

Dark Horse likes this.
  2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Black/Rosewood/Tort is one of my favourite looks on a P.
    Great find. Good luck.

Dark Horse likes this.
  3. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    You sir, are the island of misfit toys! Can't wait to see the final product.

Dark Horse likes this.
  4. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I agree that it's likely a Fujigen, but Matsumoku also used similar stamps but usually in black. I've never seen Tokai with a circle number or letter stamp.

For Fujigen, the probability is Fender, Squier, or Greco labeled.

The neck was pulled off another MIM bass, and is not a replacement neck. Because of this, I'm thinking it was labeled as a Squier or Greco. If Squier, it's too bad because MIJ Squiers are sought after now.

Otherwise, I cannot see replacing a Fender labeled neck with a MIM one unless it was damaged. However, it appears that who ever owned it, didn't mind a neck not in the best of shape.

I'd vote for either replacing the pickguard with another well-worn but not broken, or patching the existing one to maintain the relic vibe. Appears to have some real relic'ing.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
    Dark Horse likes this.
  5. FenderB

FenderB

Mar 28, 2016
    Findlay, Ohio
    Gotta love the "free" Harbor Freight VOM. It's a great little tester.

Dark Horse likes this.
  6. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Cleaned up as good as possible, without spending tons of time. Much better...though there's still a bit of beaver chewing!

Attached Files:

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    It's a Jazz neck. I have done this. Probably will again.

Also, MIM is a Fender label.

Dark Horse likes this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Looking good, DH.

A lil shielding will fix it forever.

Dark Horse likes this.
  9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I went ahead and re-wired it using the pick ups they came in it. I want to hadn't use the white pick guard, it's easy enough to change later if I decide to. I also just decided to use used pots and a used jack. No real reason, just figured I had them sitting around and so what the heck ?!?

Not the greatest wiring job in the world, but I was dealing with spliced wires from the pick ups, used parts, and used wire. Hard to make it look pretty under those circumstances.

IMG_8354.JPG

Rattman and RyanJD like this.
  10. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

Going to have to deal with the shielding paint later. Don't have any here, so I've got to order it. Ran out a little while ago.

11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wired up, bridge replaced, just about ready to put it back together and give it some glamour shots! :p

IMG_8355.JPG

ICM, Yetiparty, sneha1965 and 2 others like this.
  12. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    In on DH thread, as always.

Dark Horse likes this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup: congrats!

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Wow, I have dirt shovels that are cleaner,lol.

LarryG and Dark Horse like this.
  15. Drucifer

Drucifer Not currently practicing Gold Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Houston Heights, Texas
    Endorsements: your name could be here, Mr. Sadowsky!
    Do you think he used a chain saw?

Dark Horse likes this.
  16. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    I still think black on black would be classy...but that sharpie idea with the b/w/b pickguards, now THAT is something I can get behind.

As a sucker for oddities, especially vintage player grade, this post is entertaining me to no end. Excited to see the final results, DH!

Malak the Mad and Dark Horse like this.
  17. I wish, you would let us listen for a few seconds. Curious how this bass sounds and plays. Like the story.

Dark Horse likes this.
  18. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    OK, she is all back together and set up beautifully! Just looks like a well used, working man's bass now. I went ahead and re-used everything that I could, with the exception of the bridge just because I hate that style of bridge (with the two screws on the front edge). I added the aged white pick guard and thumbrest, as well as the chrome knobs. I changed out the nut since the original one was busted. And since the bass came to me with stickers on it, I figured I shouldn't mess with that mojo....but the stickers that were on there sucked, so I wanted to put something cool on the bass. There is nothing cooler than Willie Nelson, except perhaps for a red white and blue Willie Nelson .... so that's what I put on there!

In the end, it is a cool mid 80s Japanese body, a made in Mexico jazz neck, Seymour Duncan quarter pounder pick ups, and a little bit of special sauce. Going to see how she sounds with my rig tomorrow at the gig!

IMG_8356.JPG IMG_8357.JPG IMG_8358.JPG IMG_8359.JPG IMG_8360.JPG IMG_8361.JPG IMG_8363.JPG IMG_8364.JPG

Djwithanxj, ICM, Dec1975 and 6 others like this.
  19. I dig the white/yellowish guard. If it was a brandnew white i wouldnt,but it vibes well with the wear.

winterburn69 and Dark Horse like this.
  20. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    My meaning was why replace a MIJ with a MIM when both are labeled Fender, if the previous owner wanted the Fender label.

The more I look at it, the more I'm convienced that is not Alder, but likely basswood. This would mean it's not the better lines produced by Fujigen as they used alder for those. It's probably a Squier or Greco, and since there is some plugs installed on the body, I'm leaning towards Greco. That would make sense on why the switch to a MIM neck pull. Previous owner probably bought it on ebay.

The japanese copies that are not Fender branded tend to use off-dimensions somewhere. And the typical place was the pickguard. Particularly the alignment of the holes to screw it into the body.

It's very close to where someone can try to force fit. If they do, most of of the forcing will be down at the tip. Where it could break off... hmm... the tip was broken.

I'm leaning towards it being a Fujigen post-lawsuit era Greco as it's origins.

Last edited: May 31, 2017
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021